Truss Plate Institute ANSI TPI1-1995

ANSI-TPI 1-1995 it is old but still relevant.

http://design.medeek.com/resources/truss/DOCUMENTS/ANSI_TPI1-1995_Standard_and_Commentary-Appendices.pdf

1 Like

When you a HI do you measure several plates?

A truss engineer at the FABI conference class said to use the “penny test” if a penny can fit between the truss and the gusset he would be concerned about the integrity of the connection.

You didn’t answer the question…Nope!

When you a HI do you measure several plates?

I have a gap gauge.

Only if there is a gap that appears excessive.

You must have mental problem…LOL!
I’ll ask this simple question again and again …OK?

When you do a HI do you measure several plates?

Answer the question… Or give us your methodology on the truss plate inspect you are doing…
What are you really looking for when you pop the attic hatch…?

STOP doing that - its way out of the HI scope - its the Engineers and Building inspectors job, your inviting for trouble.

Jeff, not sure which SOP you follow… NACHI SOP is pretty vague about roof structure…
InterNACHI’s Home InspectionStandards of Practice5Q.inspect any system or component that is not included in these Standards.3. Standards of Practice3.1. Roof I. The inspector shall inspect from ground level or the eaves: A.the roof-covering materials; B.the gutters; C.the downspouts; D.the vents, flashing, skylights, chimney, and other roof penetrations; and E.the general structure of the roof from the readily accessible panels, doors or stairs.
As a member of Florida Association of Building Inspectors (FABI) we have to follow the FABI SOP Standards of Practice - FABI
Which clearly states trusses shall be inspected.
3. STRUCTURE (Including interior and exterior sections)
3.1 The inspector shall:
A. Inspect:

1. The structural components including visible portions of the foundation, walls, posts, beams, columns, joists, trusses, and framing.

Would you report this?

Almost everyday.