10 sq ft rule

I believe a thank you is in order for the distinguished gentleman from the other side of the aisle Mark Cramer.

thank you

You’re welcome. Just making them state the obvious in writing.

Yes- thank you for putting in the effort for the dec statement. I think the 10 Sq. Ft. rule is actually ridiculous and I do have a couple questions :

Is the ten sq. ft. an aggregate number for the home home or can we identify up to 10 sq. ft. in multiple rooms in a home over the course of an inspection?

If the 10 Sq. ft. rule is an aggregate number for the home and we have identified our 10 sq. ft., are we required to ignore all other areas that may contain mold?

If the 10 sq. ft. rule is not an aggregate number and we are allowed to identify multiple areas up to 10 sq ft., can we break any suspect areas of say 100 sq. ft. down into 10 10 sq. ft. increments?

If the mold affected area grows at some time post inspection and the total square footage increases to over 10 sq. ft.- will we be in violation of exceeding the scope of our license?

Any insight you may be able to provide on this matter may help prevent a home inspector from violating the law at some time in the future.

Who needs ten sq foot? a q tip is pretty small:mrgreen:

lol… true, true.

!0’ comes from the guide lines differentiating a limited mold inspection from a comperhensive. I have no problem with the 10’.

Seriously, I think this being over thought. Every day as inspectors, we run into situations where we have to make decisions about what to recommend to our clients. In some circumstances we may make minor recommendations, in others we may recommend a structural engineer.

It’s no difference here. If there is a minor moisture intrusion issue from an obvious source, localized in a specific area less than 10’, that’s one thing.
If on the other hand, you have multiple issues, extensive biological growth, in multiple locations, etc… You need to do the right thing and recommend a mold remediation professional.

Actually, even if you sample for the client’s benefit, you should still be recommending professional mold remediation based upon the results… I hope none of us our recommending the home owner repair a double tap themselves?

As Mark said…got to get it in writing. Hand shakes are a thing of the past.

I think Jay has an great post. Personally if you dont do a lot and it is a big part of your business for a few dollars what is the point. Turn it over to someone else.

Thank you Mark.