100 amp 50 year old federal pacific fuse panel box

If the panel was compliant and in good working order then there is no reason to advise changing it. I have looked at several that are in top condition.
Doing so, just because its a fuse panel, is unprofessional IMO.

For the record, most 100 amp fuse panels I find have been tapped into and added on to deal with growing demand. Then its a no brainer to advise upgrade.

That is really the key, our professional judgement. Whenever I am challenged by a seller or a real estate agent, I tell them that my client hired me for my opinions. They don’t have to agree with me. If I am not comfortable with something, that’s what I tell my client. I like it when they ask what I would do if it were my house. That makes it easy. They can do whatever they want but at least they know what I’d do.

If the seller’s Uncle Joe’s opinion is different from mine, OK. So what? The buyer didn’t hire the seller’s Uncle Joe, the buyer hired me. Now, if my client wants go with what Uncle Joe says, that’s his choice.

I don’t write them up as defects. I do include an FYI about insurance though.

Same here. If the fuseholders have Edison bases, I’d recommend S adapters but I wouldn’t necessarily recommend changing to breakers. But then, it would all depend on what I see when I get there.

I agree with the part about the fused panel not being a problem in and of itself. I’m not so sure about the needing further evaluation part though. If you are confident in what you are looking at, that should be the end if it.

Yes id but that in there as a discretionary safety upgrade as well.

Same way I would do it. The electrical system is functioning as designed with no defects observed. The buyer should contact his insurance agent to confirm that they will underwrite a home owners policy where the electric panel is fused protected vs breaker protected.

Talked to my agent today. They would deny new homeowners coverage to a home that is fuse panel protected until such time as the service is upgraded.

Okay guys I can only give a Canadian perspective on this and I would say that it does not meet todays standards. i am guessing a 50 yr old panel is probably only 60 amp (wasn’t specified) Here insurance companies give you grief on a 60 amp panel because 99.9% it is probably overloaded.
My Canadian 1 cent worth…oh ya in case you don’t know this is the last year we will have pennies, so it will be 5 cents worth after this year! :wink: