13/16" out of level over 32 feet... Acceptable?

Upon completion of a bottom of a 2 storey garage and employing a water line hose (5/16" I.D. clear hose) to ensure level accuracy however the outside temperature was approx. -5 degree C. therefore I used a bit of glycol car antifreeze mixed with the water and the water glycol mix did not balance out… Weird. A 5/16" I.D. 35’ long hose filled with water/glycol and holding the two ends together and all the air was out and it was almost an inch different from the other. What the heck?](*,)
I found this out after the walls were built on a somewhat uneven foundation so each stud had to be ‘custom cut’ and now the building is out of level 13/16" over 32 feet. Is this within a tolerance? should I adjust each stud/jackstud over the the three 32’ walls before I continue with the top floor? Or should I leave it and go with it? What would a normal person do?
Any response would be appreciated.
-Mark

I’m a mason and that is unacceptable to me.

The problem comes from the industry’s use of laser levels. Don’t be impressed by the laser. A laser level still relies on trying to center a little bubble between two lines, by eye. If you are off a human hair at the level, you could be off several inches, 32 feet away. It’s just like the sights of a gun.

I love the liquid line level you used, BTW. Here is how to make one: http://www.nachi.org/liquid-level.htm

If you tell me what you want your ceiling height to be, I’ll tell you exactly how to fix it. It is a big deal, but not a big deal to correct.

Before I would adjust each stud (p.i.a.) I would adjust it a the floor…cut the bandjoist
and joist as needed.

Mark

The difference in reading is due to a non-uniform mixture of ethylene glycol and water. Pure ethylene glycol is 12% heaver than water. If you were to pour pure ethylene glycol in one end and pure water in the other end as shown in the drawing the difference in reading will be 12% of the height measured. The more uniform the mix the less the difference will be. It would be very difficult to get a perfectly uniform mixture. Its best to use one type of liquid, I suggest using rubbing alcohol in lieu of water if you need some antifreeze protection.

WaterLevel1.jpg

I was taught 1/4" in 100’ is acceptable and that standard has stood the test for me.
But level is level not almost.

Is it me or am I seeing more and more people coming to ask building questions on this board.
I shun the idea, because there are construction site for this very thing. Are we builders or inspectors?
When we work girls, I here the builders screaming and is this a MB for home inspection?
He has 1 post and is new.

I agree and frequently it is a non member who is asking the question .
I am afraid some day this could bite our Bottom … Roy

I agree 1000 percent ROY.
Now I read that government and others where paYing ATTENTION TO ALL STRINGS on home inspection association message boards.
How do you think they feel when we go beyond or practice or craft, profession or trade and help non members by giving them information that might be right or wrong about building?
We are residential or chimerical building inspectors.
Not code inspectors nor contractors. We might be trades men but that is or other job.
I think it is a dangerous practice and must-be stopped.
It can be misinterpreted by others.
Thanks Roy.