15 AMP Service Meter?

Originally Posted By: jpope
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

How could this be on a 100 amp service panel? It’s a 1928 installation.

![](upload://mpZfxRbzJQhb0QuRzUMnMfVwN1j.jpeg)

Oh, and Jerry, I knew you would want to see what it was hooked up to.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: psabados

Jeff comes through with another one. icon_biggrin.gif Nice pics

Paul

There were actually two identical FPE panels on this property (a duplex with two service drops).

Looks like the service drop was an "original 1928 installation" also.

![](upload://jmbPy3GV70M5wOCUdzwTc9gOTml.jpeg)

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: tallen

Unbelievable icon_eek.gif

Jeff you are the electrical fax pau magnet.

However that is a typo. You should pull the meter and sell it on ebay

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

tallen wrote:
You should pull the meter and sell it on ebay ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Actually, I think the DWP was on their way to replace it as they did with the other one.

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Actually the JS meter dates from the 40s and that triplex drop is probably late 70s or newer.

http://www.watthourmeters.com/sangamo/j.html

Originally Posted By: Randy Flockton

Jeff,

I thought the same thing when I first saw one of these old meters… But per an SDG&E Planner I asked about this, the 15A/3.6KW is simply the current that was/is to be used when calibrating the meter. The meter’s load rating would be denoted by the letters “CL” preceeding a number (IE CL100, CL200, etc…) Same markings only my meter was a Westinghouse. SDG&E gave the ok for 100A on it

-Randy

--
"Prices subject to change with customers additude"

Thanks Randy icon_biggrin.gif

Jeff Pope

“At JPI, we’ll help you look better”

(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: Mike Parks

Jeff

Two 'drops' on a residential application is not allowed.

While there are many exception to 230 NEC they do not apply to residential property.

Mike P.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Mike,

I read 230. I saw the exceptions, but did not recognize that they were not permitted for residential applications. Where is this reference?

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Joe

I am using the 1993 NEC. 230.2 "A building or other structure shall be supplied by only one service".

""Where more than one service is permmited by any of the following exceptions,...."

Show me an exception for a residential application.

Mike P.

Mike,

Show me where the exception is limited to commercial applications only. It is embedded within an entire section which pertains to commercial and residential applications. No where does it state that it is limited to commercial only.

I am reading the 1999 NEC. You are referring to 230.2, where it's pretty clear. 230.2 (a) through (c) has it covered. It's (d). that is the loophole, IMO.

An example would be a legal 2-family dwellng, where a group home for disabled children gets a different rate than the other occupants. It would be an odd exception, but an exception nevertheless. I believe that, based upon exception (d), a second drop would be permitted. (BTW, I've never actually seen a second drop. I'm just arguing for the sake of arguing... my point being that the NEC is confusing as hell and is open to interpretation).

My final point was for you to show me where it states that any exception is limited to commercial applications only. Section 230 pertains to all, as far as I can tell, and the allowable exceptions is not stated as being limited.

Section 230 has many applicatioins relative to commercial and residential buildings, which furthers my argument. 230-40 deals specifically with residential applications and related exceptions. If the exceptions were limited, I believe they would be stated as such.

In 230-40, the exceptions are laid out in a clear and concise manner, and the reader knows which application (residential or commercial) it speaks to. Absent of any verbal delineation, one must assume that the rule or exception as stated in 230-2 applies to all installations, as ther is nothing within that particular portion of the Section that states anything to the contrary.

Am I wrong? If so, please explain why.

Geez... and I'm not even a code guy. Why am I arguing this? ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

--
Joe Farsetta

It was two separate dwellings with two street addresses, however, the title information shows it as one property for use as a “duplex.”

Does it still apply?

--
Jeff Pope
(661) 212-0738

Jeff

Yes.

Mike P.

Mike,

You havent shown me, in your code reference, why it cannot be done under certain circumstances.

--
Joe Farsetta

Jeff,

We have semi attached residences around here, separated by a demizing wall. Same shared structure. Two street addresses. Two separate sets of overheads. Two meters. If this is what you are speaking of, it is allowed, and is installed this way on tens of thousands of homes throughout the US.

We call them duplexes as well, or semi-attached homes

--
Joe Farsetta

Joe

Read the first line.

230.2 "A building or other structure shall be supplied by only one service".

Maybe we are not on the same page. Read the def. of a service.

Mike P.

In this instance, there are two physically separated structures, with 2 physical addresses, and two separate service drops. Its like if I owned my house and the house next door. Are you telling me that only one service drop is legal?

Jeff described 2 service drops, with 2 meter pans, to 2 separate buildings, with 2 addresses. BTW, the power company has blessed the configuration and has supplied two meters. Which means that the configuration was also blessed by the local AHJ. Stating that this is not allowed is a tough argument to win.

--
Joe Farsetta

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Here is an interesting thread on services in a duplex. How would you writte up a service feeder running through the neighbor’s attic?

http://www.iaeifl.org/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=26&t=000084

What a nightmare scenario. In the stated instance, the zero lot line is the demizing wall between the two dwellings within the single structure.

Where we live, the typical scenario would be two separate feeds, to two separate sides of the property. In some instances, the meter pans are co-located, and have service disconnects. The indicidual primary sup-panels are then installed in each dwelling, and cable routes are typically encased on conduits and concrete.

Unless there is an easement, it is a legal nightmare, and one owner could easily order the cable removed. If condo owner A's house burnds down because condo owner b refused to maintan the cable, what then?

In 5 years, would condo owner B have the rithr to the attic of condo unit A under adverse posession laws?

Again, more legal than code related, initially.

--
Joe Farsetta