155 hour ITA Correspondence Course

Originally Posted By: BBuzz
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hello

I was thinking about taking the ITA 155 hour correspondence course, I am unable to travel out of state at this time and thought this might be a excellent way to get my feet wet in HI business… Has anyone taken or heard anything about this correspondence course? I am a little nervous about not taking a hands on course is there videos or CD-Roms to supplement the learning?

Thank You!
Brian Buswell

Originally Posted By: hkopp

Brian,

I have completed the course and passed all of the required tests. It is a little dated but most of the material is still relevant. It is VHS format of actual seminars. Not the best as they reference classroom handouts but fail to include them in the home study course. I was able to pass the national and state exams without any trouble but I have 20 years of restoration experience.

Good luck!

Originally Posted By: escanlan

Hello Brian,

I too took the course. I will agree with Harry about being dated but mostly relevant. I also did not care for the selection of books they used. Of course they were ITA written books except one or two. Also there is no real structure to it which is very helpful in any correspondence course.

Unless you are required to take courses from specific providers as a license requirement I would highly advise you look at other options. The University of Texas has a fairly good correspondence course. Many other universities and higher education institutions have some very good courses. Check your local colleges and search the WEB.

Good luck.

Manny (Emmanuel) Scanlan

Originally Posted By: BBuzz

Thank you all for your replies, great info so far! Has anyone else had any experience with this course or heard anything about it?? someone on anouther forum said it wasn’t for the novice and I might have a tough time with the terminology ect… Did anyone here get this feeling from this course??

Originally Posted By: senomoto

I just completed the ITA course in Las Vegas. Very Good instructors, giving first hand experiences of years in the business. There is always room for improvement in any course though. I had purchased the home study version in 2000. never got much out of it. I’ll use the tapes more as a refresher than for training. Kaplan schools has schools all over the country so there should be one neer you. I traveled from Hawaii to Vegas for my course. It was worth every dime.

The only negative part of the school is theat they talk negatively about NACHi. Too bad I like being a member.

Steve

Originally Posted By: gbell

ITA=ASHI

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: bsumpter

I just completed the course. Overall, the material is good, as I feel competent to perform Inspections. Like a great number of things, you get pout of it what you put into it.

The tapes are often appalling. Bad sound, and poor image quality but that could possibly be just my copies...could be...hmmm ![icon_confused.gif](upload://qv5zppiN69qCk2Y6JzaFYhrff8S.gif)

Anyway, despite the video issue(s) I endorse this method of training, but do suggest that you look at the options open to you.

--
"In the fields of observation, chance favors only the mind that is prepared"

Louis Pasteur