180 year old home

From the exterior, the roof had some odd waves in it. Architectural shingles look relatively new, but the valleys were an attempt at a weave. Noticed some OSB overhanging the edge of the roof and a mess where the original home met the additional. I was able to work my way far enough through the access point to see the roof decking. What are your thoughts?

Ugly hack, if she doesn’t leak, you have a miracle :slight_smile:

Hope you know 3d shingles aren’t meant to be woven.

2 Likes

Nathan, please give us YOUR thoughts and we will add or modify them for your report purposes.

We can write your report for you but you will not learn to stand on your own two feet that way.

Many would be happy to critique your work and you will learn that way, IMO.

Respectfully,
Larry Kage, CMI-retired

Give it a try. Just write what you see. Then help is on the way. :smile:

3 Likes

Larry,

My apologies for making it seem like I was looking for someone to write it up for me. I’ve already sent the report, and was posting here to share some experience with a nearly 2 century old home. To summarize:

Architectural shingles are attempted to be woven.
OSB laid over existing planking makes for an unsuitable base for roofing
The use of rolled roofing along a valley along with plenty of metal and tar flashing isn’t the best choice.
OSB is exposed at rake edges and is soaking up moisture.

As always, I appreciate the discussion and learn more here every day!

1 Like

Thanks, Nathan, it was probably part me, too. I like to see what the OP has to report often before I help out and I’ve had a lot of challenges in my life recently.

It is all good. :smiley:

1 Like

Probably would of made out better with a standing seam metal roof. We have alot of those around here with the original skip plank sheathing.

1 Like