2/16/09 Bulletin from The Alliance of Missouri Home Inspectors

Bulletin From
The Alliance of Missouri Home Inspectors

2/16/09

**Welcome to Joe Farsetta, a member of The Alliance of Missouri Home Inspectors: ** As our membership numbers increase in volume, I think it is important to highlight those members who can be considered as a resource to other members. Joe is one of those members.
Joe Farsetta is a published author, licensed instructor, and Certified Master Inspector. A true industry veteran, Joe performs both residential and commercial inspections in NY State, as well as instructing fellow inspectors across North America.
****A graduate and alumnus of the National Institute of Building Inspectors, and with over 20 years of experience in related fields, Joe’s background and expertise includes commercial construction and inspections, project management, construction management, team building, contract law, process re-engineering, mediation/arbitration, total quality management, contract administration, labor negotiations, and limitations of liability. He is also a licensed RE and Home Inspection instructor in NY State. Several of his CE classes are also approved in states across the US, where Joe is also an approved instructor.
Joe was a featured inspector on CNN’s Open House Television show, where he has taken segment producers and TV personalities on actual inspections. These jaunts were filmed by the CNN crew, and have aired across the country, having Joe’s experience help explain some common, and not so common defects and damage to commercial and residential properties. Recently, he has been both a featured guest, and host, on NACHI.TV

In addition to all of this, Joe was elected the 2004 U.S. Member of the Year by the International Association of Certified Home Inspectors, for his dedication to the association and a commitment to improving the industry. He currently serves as the association’s Director of Professional Development, as well as Chairman of their Ethics and Standards of Practice Committee. Joe also runs IAS (Inspection Arbitration Services), also known to InterNACHI Members as ADRS.
Welcome, Joe.

Important Feedback From Some Members on the Alliance’s Position on Licensing:

It is always funny to me when I read there is no or minimal cost to enact this into law. In times such as we are experiencing with job losses and loss of benefits any and I mean any cost is prohibitive. In government we know of all the wasted spending that goes on. TO roll out such a program would have advertising, sessions to explain the process or a new web site to introduce the process, a secretary at minimum to keep track of those registered, a database to track whether an inspector is registered, and we know follow-up just to keep the program in force. This is going to cost something and I would bet it will be at least $30 to 40,000 per year to administer. This is just to do a registration program which is worthless and does not buy anyone anything. John Doe who has never done a home inspection could register just in case he decides to do it in the future. Why? If it doesn’t do anything, then there is absolutely no reason for it. I am against any change that is merely for change unless there is a solid reason to do something we should not support any registration program or licensing. I say fight this with all we can.

Larry Sparks

I will certainly try to do what I can to assist with the fight against licensing. I don’t believe there is any viable reason given that warrants or shows the need for it. I have been in the trades for over 30 years and have seen countless times where a home owner or business who have used a licensed company and have had problems and stated they thought just because the contractor had a license they thought they were getting a qualified individual. There are a lot of quality people out there that do an outstanding job that don’t have a license. A license isn’t what we need quality, trained Proud Inspectors is what is needed. It is the person that makes the license worth something not the license that makes the person perform. How do they rationalize the thought that a License make the industry better if there is no one or no thing in place to verify the inspector is doing his/her job following the rules.
TERRY CLAYTON

I cannot speak to the bill in Kansas or the contents of the bill Parsons is pushing now. I’ve not had an opportunity to read either of them. However, after last summer’s end run attempt by MAR to control what, and how, we report to our customers, I am suspect of any legislation that Parsons is pushing for. I have a legal obligation to protect my client’s interest (as do Realtors according to Article 1 of the National Association of Realtor’s by-laws) and to report my findings completely and accurately. Any attempt by MAR or Parsons to control what I report to my customers places me and my company in a position of liability.

As such, I will fight any attempt at controlling me until the State of Missouri enacts state-wide building codes, contractor competency exams prior to licensing, and enforcement of code provisions via a funded inspection program conducted by ICC certified inspectors.

For example, I inspected a house last Saturday for a military client. The selling Realtor (not even the listing Realtor!) tried to convince the buyer no inspection was necessary. The Realtor called me prior to conducting the inspection to make sure I wasn’t going to “scare” the buyer away. What I found during my inspection was unbelievable. The owner had constructed an addition to the home consisting of a master bedroom, master bath and walk-in closet. The floor of the bedroom sloped toward the exterior wall. When I inspected the foundation for failure, lo and behold, NO FOUNDATION! The addition was constructed on concrete blocks laid on the ground!

We simply cannot work for the Real Estate industry and simultaneously provide due diligence to our clients. It’s oil & water…

That’s my two cents worth. Thanks for listening.

Larry Wood
Missouri Home Inspection Services, LLC

PS: I wrote a book for home buyers that will be released on 5 May 2009 through Tate Publishing. I am beginning a national book tour in April. All of the pictures of defects were taken from inspections in the Missouri market. And not a single defect was identified to the buyer by the seller or the seller’s agent through legally required disclosure! I don’t think the Missouri Legislature really wants that kind of press…

Elections are still scheduled for March 16, 2009. I hope to have something to send in the next bulletin from the Nominating Committee. If you would like to serve on the Nominating Committee, please contact its President, Joe Klipsch at jklipsch@juno.com .****