2 conds. per breaker, but 3?

This is not my photo, so I haven’t seen the panel. I’m pretty sure it’s a Square-D panel.
#1 looks like it’s designed for 2 conductors.
#2 Looks like maybe it’s designed for multiple conductors, but maybe not 3? And the design is different from #1 so maybe it’s not designed for more than 1. Obviously the conductors won’t be on different sides of the screw.
#3 Pretty much the same as #2.

I remember this photo. It’s in another thread and was answered repeatedly.

Parallel conductors…not allowed for that purpose.

#1 and the one above it is ok. 2 and 3 have a different problem.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/creative-hazardous-103757/

Thanks Brad, I was just going through thread titles looking for that…again.

http://www.nachi.org/forum/f2/creative-hazardous-103757/

I remembered that thread too.

Edit: Didn’t notice that Brad had already found it.

Anything more than two conductors will creating a loose conductor which creates arcing and arcing creates heat. These breakers are designed for two conductors but they are on each side of the wire clamp which is shown in number 1.

I bet number 2 and 3 are loose. Also is that what Brad stated is a parallel conductor? where the hot and neutrals are on the same 240v circuit.

Please explain as I want to learn.

Thanks,

Other than the connection to the breaker the problem as I understood it is if one conductor was to break or otherwise lose it’s connection the remaining conductors could be overloaded.

A paralleled conductor is where multiple conductors are used to carry the same ampacity as a single larger conductor. The NEC only allows paralleled conductors 1/0 or larger.

That’s a statement. You’re here to learn. If you’re making statements that exceed those made by experienced guys like Jim Port, better if you cite your source.

Thanks for responding Jim, you’re a lot of help. I’m getting into the Electrical section of the Flash Card project and there’s so many weird or complicated conditions.

By NEC definition parallel conductors are conductors that are connected together at both ends. As Jim stated they can be used to combine two or more smaller conductors to make an equivalent larger conductor.

What does connected together imply?

The conductors need to go to the same equipment, be the same material, length and other conditions.

If conductors are paralleled in multiple conduits there are additional considerations.

I had this in a home last week. In an old Pushmatic.

Looks like an incorrect application of paralleling.

That’s what I thought, especially with lugs not rated, and reported. But it was “approved” by power company and had an inspected by city electrician tag on front of panel.