2 GFI's in 1 220v circuit? Please help...

Originally Posted By: Steve99
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I’m wiring in a jacuzzi today i’m using 50 amp GFI breaker in a electrical box about 5 feet away from the spa. Now can i also use another 50 amp GFI in the main electric box. I mean can you have 2 GFI’s in one 220 volt circuit??? icon_rolleyes.gif Thanks

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

I am sorry Steve, but that is a job for a licensed electrician. your asking of the question suggests that you don’t have the knowledge to perform the job safely.

It is not like members here to be unhelpful but in this instance ............. ![icon_cry.gif](upload://r83gSGUzNOacIqpjVReDwcR83xZ.gif)

regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

I’m sorry to that you can’t answer my question? Because i got it all wired in this afternoon with #6 AWG wire and its running great. With a 50 amp GFI and a 50 amp regular breaker in the main breaker box. Was just wondering if i could run 2 GFI’s for added protection against electrocution just incase 1 of the GFI’s didn’t trip then the other one would right??? sorry

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Quote:
I'm sorry to that you can't answer my question? Because i got it all wired in this afternoon with #6 AWG wire and its running great. With a 50 amp GFI and a 50 amp regular breaker in the main breaker box. Was just wondering if i could run 2 GFI's for added protection against electrocution just incase 1 of the GFI's didn't trip then the other one would right??? sorry

Well, kind of. In the rare event that first GFCI breaker did not trip, you are correct the second one would trip. That is of course assuming you did not have two defective GFCI breakers.

If you would have placed the GFCI breaker in the main panel and the standard double pole breaker in the service disconnect, you would still afford GFCI protection to the entire circuit, while still offering the required service shut off for the hot tub.

What you really should be doing is checking with your local authority having jurisdiction (AKA, you local codes enforcement officer) and asking them how they would like to see it installed!

By the way....GFI and GFCI are not the same, I am hoping that you at least installed a GFCI breaker!

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: James D Mosier

Are these 220 volt GFCI breakers? A double breaker with the handles tied together? Just curious.

As for two GFCIs in series, I think it's ok. Many hair dryers and such have a GFCI built into the plug, and also plugged into a GFCI protected circuit.
You just have two potential placed to reset if/when one/both trip.

--
Jim Mosier

Originally Posted By: whandley

Hi Steve; Be careful. The fact that its running great, doesn’t mean its running safely. Did you pull a permit on the installation of that circuit? Is the circuit installed above/below grade the proper depth or height? If EMT was used, did you properly seal all the joints to protect against water intrusion? Is all the metal spa equipment and or adjacent metal fencing properly bonded? And the list goes on and on! I agree with Gary, spend a couple bucks and have an independent licensed electrical contractor further inspect the entire system installation to protect you and or loved ones. icon_idea.gif

Yes I did install a 50 amp GFCI double pole breaker with the handles tied together in the service disconnect and now i will install one in the main panel. Ok I will at least have my work checked out by a licensed electrician. Thanks everyone for your help this is great to know. icon_biggrin.gif