2 Main Panels / 1 Meter

Hello all I’m new to this forum. Thought I would join in on the fun. I inspected a home today that was 3000 sq ft built in 2003. This home had 2 main panels, bonded and grounded and only 1 meter. Service to the home is underground. Can 1 meter control both panels or is two meters needed?

I see this a lot on larger houses.

Welcome.

So what’s keeping you from joining NACHI as a full member?

Review this link.

NACHI is your one stop place to be.

The panels must be grouped and in the same location. It’s not referred to as “two main panels,” but rather, the service equipment, or possibly even a parallel service.

The code refers to shutting off a structure with “six throws of the hand” or less. So the meter could supply six grouped main breaker panels. Or a main lug panel with six throws (like a split bus panel).

Just to add…John, a meter controls nothing as it is not considered service equipment. You asked could a single meter control…again it controls nothing as it is passive equipment.

That is a misnomer which we should not perpetuate. The code makes absolutely no reference to “hand” motions. I can flip many breakers with one “hand” motion.

The code refers to switches or breakers, or sets of switches or breakers. In other words two or three breakers/switches with a handle tie is the same as one.