2 more HUGE complaints against USInspect.

Originally Posted By: gromicko
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

----- Original Message -----

To: nick gromicko

Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 2004 12:59 AM

Subject: Re: Nick/NACHI

You have NO idea of what we have been through and how awful this has been for our family. My immediate concern though, is for the Hornungs and their situation. We are treading water for now.

Barbara can be reached on her cell phone at (407) 616-8141. In all likelihood, she will be at the hospital at her husband's side. I can sketch out her story for you, though.

SHE IS A REALTOR!! (Do you remember that Sharon Clemons is a mortgage broker, and I am very experienced homebuyer, as my husband relocates corporately very often. If this can happen to us, it can happen to anyone!) She chose US Inspect to inspect her home after seeing their glitzy presentation at her office. She and her husband were living in one side of a duplex and they wanted to get a house that would work for her in later years after her husband was gone (She is 64 and Guenther is in his 70's). She found what she thought was a perfect house. Her inspector wasn't Bill Word, although he has since been to the house. Her inspector told her she didn't need a termite inspection and gave the house the thumbs up. They soon found out that it was termite infested, powderpost beetle infested, but worst of all, it was rat infested. They sunk all the rest of their assets into trying to start fixing the house. The interior 2X4's are stained with rat urine. Ultimately, the house was condemned. They have not been able to live in it and have been unable to keep up with both payments. She has gotten nowhere with US Inspect and cannot get any attorneys to take the case on a contingency basis due to the arbitration clause.

My understanding is that her mortgage company plans to foreclose on the house on October 7. She and her husband have worked hard all of their lives building their credit and now this! She is just about at her wits end.

Like I said, I am trying so hard to figure out some way to help her and keep our head above water, too.

When you call her, tell her that Mari-Lynn told you about her.

After we get her going I would love to tell you our story. Do you have any chapters in the Kansas City Metropolitan area? What I need help with is getting a web site going about our case and then trying to figure out the best way to go to the media with this. Our case has been going on since January 2003.

Thank you so much-

Mari-Lynn Fisher
Overland Park, KS
FabFisher5@msn.com

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

I’m collecting donations:

Make checks out to "NACHI" P.O. Box 987, Valley Forge, PA 19482-0987.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

Forgive me, but who’s SOP says we are to inspect for Rats?

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Quote:
Forgive me, but who's SOP says we are to inspect for Rats?

In Florida, you can't inspect for WDOs either unless you hold an ID card or possess a license.

NO WDO inspection in Florida? I guess this is a hard lesson learned. ![icon_sad.gif](upload://nMBtKsE7kuDHGvTX96IWpBt1rTb.gif)

I am leary of these "condemned" homes because of termite and or rat damage. I have seen my share and the home wasn't condemned.

Now if the US Inspect inspector said that they didn't need a wdo inspection, that is just poor advice.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

She claims USInspect has stipulated that they forgot to look in the attic at all. Perhaps someone can call her and see what’s up.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Why are we (NACHI) getting involved in this?

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: jpeck

WDO, termites, powder post beetles are one thing. This requires a ID card in WDO and someone needs a Certified Pest Control Operator - Termite license.

Rats are General Household Pests and this needs a Certified Pest Control Operator - General Household Pests (commonly referred to as GHP).

One may get both certifications, but one is not required to have the other.

(407) is in the Central Florida Area, which is where the other BIG ONE was.

--
Jerry Peck
South Florida

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

I am leary of these “condemned” homes because of termite and or rat damage. I have seen my share and the home wasn’t condemned.

I agree, the damage would have to massive to warrant condemning the house rather than repairing it. I can't imagine how rats could possibly reach that threshold of damage.

Now if the US Inspect inspector said that they didn't need a wdo inspection, that is just poor advice.

I agree again. I can't begin to think why a home inspector would ever make such an idiotic statement. I might not see any reason to advise a client to get one, but I sure as hell would never advise them NOT to.

This whole thing sounds kinda odd. If they were calling me in to consult on it I would be very careful....

Joe:

NACHI has an interest in this as some major corporations still think it safe to use uncertified home inspectors (non-NACHI members). We should continue to help the general public by fueling any publicity that reminds consumers, REALTORs, and Corporate Relos that they should only use NACHI certified home inspectors. Despite these 2 recent complaints, http://www.nachi.org/hiexperience.htm and others... USInspect continues to enjoy a lock on many of these Relocation contracts. I also believe that NAHI's refusal to deny that they permit USInspect to acquire these contracts through means that ASHI felt unethical, is a factor as well. All four local news organizations are doing a followup on this story next Thursday. I understand your hesitation to involve NACHI, so I'll put up $4,999.00 of my own money if one other member will fly down there and put up $1. This way we can say that "NACHI members donated $5,000.00 to help." Would this be objectionable to anyone?

You know me, if I can't raise the bridge, I try to lower the water.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jhagarty

Joseph Hagarty

HouseMaster / Main Line, PA
joseph.hagarty@housemaster.com
www.householdinspector.com

Phone: 610-399-9864
Fax : 610-399-9865

HouseMaster. Home inspections. Done right.

Originally Posted By: evandeven

Nick,

Whatever you do with your money is your business.

Is this the same Realtor or Friend that allowed US Inspect to inspect this home after "allegedly" screwing up the other house(s)? That wasn't very bright if that is the case.

On the other hand, we still don't know what really happened to the Clements house and we don't know all of the facts on this one either.

Quote:
She claims US Inspect has stipulated that they forgot to look in the attic at all.

What? I don't know which is worse! Forgetting to look in the attic or admitting to it! ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

Quote:
Her inspector told her she didn't need a termite inspection and gave the house the thumbs up.

Who was this guy? A mix of "Rain Man" and "The Fonz"!

I have no love for US Inspect but even they can't be this dumb!

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

I agree that this may be beyond the scope and experience of a HI, unless that HI also is certified as a pesticide technician in the areas revealed. Sometimes, rat damage is concealed. It can be common in walls behind kitchen cabinets, where kickplates block any view of surfaces below.

As to the US Inspect thing, it is sad that this group has a virtual lock on business generated by Relo companies. This is a fact of life for now.

But, I do agree that for a home to be condemned, it would have to have an awful lot of damage from the rats and insects. I would be leary of getting involved.

NACHI got burned on one of these last year. Anyone remember the Clemons?

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

I spoke with Mrs. Fisher and she says (I concur that this is hearsay but anyone can contact her direct) that her house is full of termite damage, that her house has to be jacked up to have the rim joists replaced, and that USInspect issued 2 clean termite certs on it.

She is building a website with all the documentation scanned and posted on it. She will give us the website when it's up and live.

Perhaps someone from USInspect can come on this open and free-to-all message board and explain why they continue to be the common denominator in these complaints. This IS an inspection message board and this IS an inspection issue, so I see no reason to avoid showing any interest in these publicly filed law suits especially when several of the parties are emailing us.

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

True.

But, remember, this can happen to any of us. A home I inspected last year had concealed termite damage, and had to be jacked up to have the sill plate replaced. I did identify termite damage, and recommended a follow-up inspection, as the insects were dormant that time of year (Nov 18th).

The client is complaininf that I should have found all the damage. He disregarded the findings outlined in his report, and his basement was finished. I could see nothing.

My point is that there is two sides to every story, then there's the truth.

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: gbell

If I remember correctly this house was inspected before the Clemons home. It is about a mile away. The last article I read was just after the Clemons, they were trying to restore it at that time.

I don't want to argue who is right or wrong. The Clemons house was wood frame with stucco at or below grade around the complete exterior.
There was no mention of this in the report.

All homes in Florida with this condition should have it noted in the report.

--
Greg Bell
Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: rsummers

Nick where do I send the $1.00 would be glad to help. I would think that if the damage was that serve it would have been caught. I think that Inspectors that refuse to crawl under homes or attics should find another trade or loose some weight. If the damage was that serve obviously he did more bull s#!t than Inspecting. Whats up with people who don’t get on the roof crawl the attic or under the house do they think that they are doing their clients right I think not.

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

But, remember, this can happen to any of us.

Absolutely. We're talking about what could have been totally concealed damage. Anyone can file a complaint or initiate a lawsuit, valid or not.

On the other hand, if they issued two clean WDO reports they may have a big problem. I can't belive they claim to have "forgotten" to look in the attic. Forgotten? How?

My point is that there is two sides to every story, then there's the truth.

The old maxim, true as always.

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

Originally Posted By: Guest

Originally Posted By: dfrend

Who won the Chad Pool? icon_rolleyes.gif

Daniel R Frend

www.nachifoundation.org

The Home Inspector Store

www.homeinspectorstore.com