2 more HUGE complaints against USInspect.

Originally Posted By: evandeven
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Quote:
So, if UsInspect were all members of NACHI how would you represent Mari-Lynn. I'm sure you'd go to mat defending a member whether they were right or wrong. How then would the dilemma be solved? Would Marilynn turn to and receive help from a different association

Read this: In Kansas, half the ASHI board was made up of US Inspect people. I knew I couldn't get help from them. Then consider this, from Norman Sage, a member of the ethics committee of the FL Assn of Building Inspectors in the Orlando Sentinel article that discusses the state investigation of Bill Word (the Clemons' inspector): ...buyers should never consider a clean termite inspection to mean the dwelling is free of termites...it means an inspector found no visible evidence...There are instances of egregious errors, but I would like to think these are in the minority." This after the article says the state found that this inspection was poorly performed with "evidence...being obviously missed."
Norm may also be on the ethics committee for ASHI.

She already contacted the organization that the members belong to.
She got the run-a-round.

All she is trying to do is get to a point where there is some type of accountability.

Marilyn,
To post a picture, name it first. There cannot be any spaces or dashes.
Name the pic something like termitedamageinattic.jpg.
When you are ready to insert the pic, click on image. A bunch of boxes will come up and just follow the directions. There are two methods of posting the pics. The pic and a link. choose the link as it will make it easier for those with dial up connections to view.
Good luck!

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.
I get paid to be suspicious when there is nothing to be suspicious about!
www.magnuminspections.com

To add to you post Joe,

Quote:
The individual in question, according to his profile at IN, has been in business since 2003. He is a member of IHINA which requires no test. He states on his web site that inspections are performed to ASHI standards, yet he is not a member of ASHI.

For someone to degrade this organization for their requirements, as he does frequently, when he himself has no affiliation with any association, speaks volumes.

I would take pretty much anything that he says and put it in the "round file".

OK, I'm Done For Now!

This was my response in the COE thread. I forgot Chad can't get there to see it.
The above is my own personal opinion.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I still have concerns about NACHI involvement. Since a NACHI inspector wasn’t chosen for the inspection, and many of us don’t do WDO inspections, and rats aren’t in the scope, and we haven’t seen the results yet on the Clemons house, I just have concerns about this. We are all inspectors and by the nature of our business could easily miss something. Those who live in glass houses should not throw stones, as I recall the saying, and it sure seems to fit here.

Originally Posted By: dfrend

I know many of you posted on a similar thread about “yours truly”. If what the lady says is true, then I hope she gets justice served. But, speaking from experience now, there are two sides. For those that saw the comments about me before they were deleted, It sounded like I was scum. Like I was some fly by night scam artist. Some of you know me better. For the rest, I will let the courts decide that.

My point is though, that in that case, much of the accustations were either false or misguided. Much of it was fabricated, in my opinion maliciously (again for courts to decide). Now, this lady does not sound like she is being malicious. But, we have no idea what the other side is.

As far as his association defending him, maybe he presented them with some evidence in his favor. Again though, without some sort of judicial body saying he was at fault, what are they supposed to do. Let's say his association boots him. Then a court comes back and says he was not at fault. Then who is the bad guy.

I do feel this lady may have been victim. But WE are not the ones to decide that.

--
Daniel R Frend
www.nachifoundation.org
The Home Inspector Store
www.homeinspectorstore.com

Originally Posted By: Mari-Lynn Fisher

I can understand the differing opions about NACHI’s involvment in these cases. You guys don’t know me from Adam…OK, Eve… but I would like for you to consider two thoughts:

1) The money that NACHI is sending the Hornungs drastically changes the dynamics of their case. US Inspect had them over a barrel. No attorney would take their case on a contigency basis because of the arbitration clause. The arbitration system requires them to fork over $5,000 to put anything to paper. If NACHI didn't help them pursue arbitration, the case would not get heard, and IF US Inspect were at fault, they would end up just getting away with it and the Hornungs would melt into bankrupt, homeless shelter obscurity.

NOW, the case will be heard, and I think it is a win/win situation for NACHI. If the Hornungs win, they can showcase their involvement in trying to change the profession for the better. If US Inspect is not at fault in this case, NACHI can use it to educate consumers about the limitations or "scope" of a standard inpsection, idenitfy what the Hornungs could have done differently to protect themselves.

2) Let's think about the WalMart analogy a little differently. As a mom, I buy most of my groceries at WalMart instead of my independent grocer. A box of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios is a box of Apple Cinnamon Cheerios! How do I know that? Because their are regulations about who can use the name "Cheerios," and there is consistent labeling, I know what I'm getting. I trust "Cheerios" because there are product recalls and other consumer sources of information that would let me know right away if there was a probelm with any box of Cheerios pretty much anywhere in the country, right? So, I buy my Cheerios at Wal Mart becasue they cost $2.89 instread of the $4.29 that the independent grocer charges. Now, when it comes to meat or produce, it's an entirely different story. I KNOW the quality is different and will pay the extra price when the situaiton warrants it.

You all seem to know that US Inspect has had its share if problems, but then again, you are in the industry. I tell you that I have searched the internet over and over using search terms like "US Inspect and lawsuits." I hardly found anything.

I see that NACHI can use these types of incidences to be a tool by which consumers will know that there is a difference between the walmarts of inspection companies and the certified independents are choose to pay the extra price when the situation warrants it... I think that most people would think that their biggest investment of a lifetime would warrant it, IF they had any idea there was a difference in quality.

I have to get back to my duties now. I will try to check postings this evening again and answer any questions that I can.

Originally Posted By: ekartal

Would NACHI be asking for donations to help this lady if U.S. Inspect was not involved? It’s not like this is the first time someone has complained about an inspection…

Erol Kartal

Two of you generously offered to help me get my pictures up on this message board. I sent them via email, but just got a “delay” message about them. I am really trying to get them up here for you all!

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I look forward to the pictures. It’s been a while since I saw anything from my birthplace, Overland Park, KS!

I have the pictures and am waiting for Ms. Fishers ok to upload them here.

The wdo letter is clear and was performed by US Inspect. He failed to note previous treatment as there are drill holes plainly visible. He may have also not gone under a deck which is adjacent to the home and damage is visible there.

It would appear from the pictures, that Ms. Fisher got a faulty inspection. It also appears that US Inspect has a training glitch for WDO inspectors as now it has happened in Florida and Kansas.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Eric,

She's already given the green light through her previous postings.

--
Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.

I would prefer it if she gave it to me personally, the go ahead.

Eric Van De Ven

Owner/Inspector

Magnum Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Still waiting for PICS!!!

I'm curious how obvious the damage was.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."

Hey everyone, thanks for waiting. I wish I had more technical skills! I just gave Eric the go ahead, and sure appreciate his caution, and willingness to help.

Any NACHI members in the KC area are invited to come take a look first hand. Email me to arrange.

Please remember that Brian Fimian, a co-founder and board member did come and take a look first hand. He stood on my front door step and said to his attorney and area manager, "Find out what it takes to get these people in another house." Oh yes, that was last October.

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Joe F. makes a very valid point, that this can (and will) happen to anyone!!

Many times I have had distractions of major proportions such as ankle biters, cookie crumblers, etc. etc. that try anyones patience, and can't wait to get out of there!!

I happen to be a disciplined person and take my HI's very seriously, but on more than one occasion have missed items that quite frankly have had to go back and redo - that's one very important reason why I like to generate my inspection reports at home and not at the clients. This way I am able to review the items in peace and quiet, well unless I get phone calls from the likes of Joe F., and Gerry Baumont ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif) , that disrupt my train of thought.

There are always mitigating circumstances that can and will change our tactics and work. I look at this with the benefit of doubt. This is not saying that USinspect is correct, for if true, a major mistake was made!!

Ron.

--
The highest compliment my clients can give me, is the referral of their Friends, Family and Business Associates!

NorCal NACHI Chapter Founder and Chairman.

Originally Posted By: jfarsetta

Big Ron,

I've NEVER interrupted one of your trains of thought, have I? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

--
Joe Farsetta

Illigitimi Non Carborundum
"Dont let the bastards grind you down..."

Originally Posted By: rbracklow

Hi Joe,

No not one!! Acutually how many?? ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif) ![icon_lol.gif](upload://zEgbBCXRskkCTwEux7Bi20ZySza.gif)

Fall off any roofs lately -

Take care and stop by to say hello every now and then!!

Ron.

--
The highest compliment my clients can give me, is the referral of their Friends, Family and Business Associates!

NorCal NACHI Chapter Founder and Chairman.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

The State of Florida issued an opinion on this at http://www.nachi.org/hiexperience.htm at the end of last year. Has there been further developments from the state concerning the Clemonses that I am unaware of?

Nick Gromicko

Founder

dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Originally Posted By: Nick Gromicko

We are putting together a huge WDO 2-day seminar in FL. Like all http://www.nachi.org/events.htm by NACHI… it will be free to NACHI members. Anything else is a deterent to continuing education.

Anyway, I'm about fed up with this other association's "2 rigorous exams" b.s. They are not rigorous nor do they ask questions about WDO (unlike http://www.nachi.org/aboutexam.htm). However, even our exam is not nearly enough.

I think NACHI should buy a WDO course and quiz, put them online, and add them to our entrance requirements: http://www.nachi.org/membership.htm

I realize many inspectors don't offer WDO but it wouldn't hurt for them to be able to spot it if they see it.

Thoughts?

--
Nick Gromicko
Founder
dues=79cents/day.

I much prefer email to private messages.

Since Mari-lyn gave the ok, here are the pics. Mari-lyn, if you have others, please send them as these aren’t really that conclusive, some of them aren’t anyway.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/fisherwdo.jpg ]
This is the WDO inspection form. On line 4 for "evidence of previous treatment" it is marked "no". Also in the body of the letter, it has areas not inspected and it lists areas of interior and states that there was furniture and personal items present. Mrs. Fisher has stated that the home was vacant at the time of inspection.

[ Image:
http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/drillholes.jpg ]
These are patched drill holes which indicate previous Subterranean termite treatment. This is a common error in filling out the report. It is also present on all of the reports including the Clemons report.

The pictures below are of the damage.

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/termitedamage1.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/termitedamage2.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/termitedamage3.jpg ]

[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/rimjoist.jpg ]
[ Image: http://www.nachi.org/bbsystem/usrimages/more/rimjoist2.jpg ]

As she sends me more pictures, I will post them.

--
Eric Van De Ven
Owner/Inspector
Magnum Inspections Inc.

Originally Posted By: jonofrey

Makes you wonder if the inspector even went to the premise.

Inspection Nirvana!

We're NACHI. Get over it.