2-slot Outlet w/ Ground

Originally Posted By: rkuntz
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What’s the deal with this. House had 2-slot outlets, but wires were updated with romex. Outlets wired with ground connecting to screw opposite the hot and neutuel side. Was this an attempt to ground the outlets?

I will be recommending 3-Slot outlets...but why was this done in the first place?

Ron

Originally Posted By: jremas

Maybe they ran out of money. Who knows why anyone would do that. They probably had a bunch of adapters they still wanted to use. Makes no sense to me.

Jeff Remas
REMAS Inspections, Inc.
Northeastern PA & the Poconos
www.NEPAinspector.com

570-362-1598

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Ron,

I would say it was done by a DIY who didn't have a clue. What is the side that is opposite the hot/neutral side? I don't understand that part of the question. The hot and neutral are already on opposite sides. Was there any wire attached to the green screw?

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Ron,

The will most likely be the first and the last time I ever agree with Neal but I am also confused. Usually the hot is on one side the neutral on the other. What did you mean when you said "Outlets wired with ground connecting to screw opposite the hot and neutral side"?

Maybe on the bottom or the top?

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: rkuntz

Joe

Sorry for the confusion. The outlet did have hot-neutral on opposite sides and a 3rd screw for what appeared to be a ground wire. I have to pick up a radon unit there today so I will get a photo.

Ron