2 wires-1 breaker-under 1 screw?

Hey. O.K. I admit it! I’m a still a little wet behind the ears. I’m fresh out into the inspection field…well, a year in October…and I do inspections as a part-time hobby/profession. 5 years in the U.S. Navy Seabees as an engineering aid, Associate’s Degree in Architectual Drafting, and an Online degree with an Accredited school. I get alot of useful advice from you guys. Thanks.

Here’s my deal: Trying to get the jist of electricity… I see alot of double taps in breakers. Usually 2 wires in one screw. Is this normal to see alot of these or are these just adolescent decisions made by uneducated electricians?

DSCN0693-400.jpg

DSCN0842-400.jpg

Brian, You said “I see alot of double taps in breakers. Usually 2 wires in one screw. Is this normal to see alot of these or are these just adolescent decisions made by uneducated electricians?”
It is very common to see this condition because sometimes people that do not understand what they are doing, do electrical work. Some breakers are designed to accept 2 wires (Square D for example) all others are only rated for 1 wire under the screw. I’m sure Paul or Marc can elaborate on this subject…

Brian,

We went over this issue many times here…

So instead of repeating what was already stated, here’s a thread that’ll set you straight on double taps on circuit breakers…
https://www.nachi.org/forum/showthread.php?t=13649

Thanks David and Tab.