200 amp panel feeding 110 amp

Tiny house with garage? (we know it’s just a typo)

Kyle, the OP didn’t show a picture of the distribution panel. I had to catch myself from thinking the same thing because I was going too fast and assuming. :smile:

I would say it is ok. Not many inspectors are gonna tag that. The inside panel may be rated at 200A and have a 200A breaker but it is protected by the 110A aka it should trip first. As far as a homeowner being disappointed, I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Unless your talking about a mansion, machine shop or the like it is extremely difficult to use 100A at any given time. Oven on high, dryer, every light in the house, vacuums and space heaters etc…

Yes the ground (green) wire should technically be on a separate bar which it then connected to the neutral (white) busbar, provided there is no main bonding jumper upstream. Which it should NOT be.

If the wires are 2/0 a breaker swap is all that is needed. The 110A breaker was probably the biggest in his/her van that day. haha

No. You are not correct.

I want to see 200amp circuit breaker that would fit that eaton panel :smiley:

There is nothing wrong with this installation (OK I hate the solid copper GEC but that’s my own thing). The service is 200 amps, the sub-panel is 110 amps other than that and a maybe a mention that the 200 amp OCPD in the sub-panel is just being used as a disconnecting means there is nothing more that needs to be said.

1 Like

I would write it up as a 110 amp service, the configuration is not confusing. Would that be the correct language?

:face_with_raised_eyebrow::woozy_face:

Robert wrote exactly what it is in the post directly above yours, John Paul. It uses more accurate terminology. :smile:

See below:

1 Like

I guess the final answer would be yes after all the responses. LOL

Nah, Marcel, nothing wrong with it except to explain to your client the particulars. :smile: LOL

1 Like

Read again, Larry. He is missing something on that question.
Maybe I should of said for the first question.

1 Like

Gotcha, buddy! :smile:

The building interior panel is limited to 110 amps as it exists at the time of the inspection. The client needs that information.

I guess you would put 2 emojis in the inspection report :stuck_out_tongue:

You could and you would be incorrect, you would misinform your client.

You have to do better, what exactly would that tell the client? is it bad? is it good? what the heck does that mean? do they need more? why? the client won’t have a clue if that is all you say. I’m not sure you understand, yourself, based on what you posted.

I would report that a used breaker was installed.

I’m not sure you understand a basic question, based on what you posted.

What exactly would you tell a client? Would they have a clue if you went off on panels, subpanels, service, differing breaker amps, wire gauges?

I have worked for a commercial electrician decades ago. It is not a mystery. Your explanations, though technically and semantically correct, are Greek to a client.

Your questions to my question are exactly what the original question intended. I found accurate and useful post responses as an inspector, but regarding what to tell a client, the responses have been deficient in that, like your questions imply, the average home owner will not understand.

It’s like the receptacle / outlet descriptor. Do you use something that is technically correct, or something the client/Realtor can understand? How much can you technically educate someone while they are in the middle of working/raising a family/moving/negotiating legal contracts/navigating finance/total building systems condition (not just once facet of one system)?

A bigger challenge of being an inspector is not being a know it all, but conveying useful, concise information. Being a bridge, or more accurately, a translator.

A home inspector function is to translate the building condition into language a homeowner can understand.

Good questions. No answers.

If you wish to tell your clients it’s a 110amp service, I’m not here to stop you. GL :slight_smile:

I see you have absolutely no answer to the question :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

No need for reverse psychology. I, as well as others, did answer. I honestly don’t know what it is you’re asking (or saying, other than you think it’s 110amp service). You took a page-size response to try to convince me that you were right (of something). Read the entire thread slowly and if there is something that is still not clear, feel free to ask.