200 Amp Service

This Cutler Hammer Lateral Service (pic1) had no ground Rod and was not connected to the water service as it was a plastic supply. House built in 1975. Could this be a UFER Ground? No other ground apparent.

Does anybody know what this short electrical cable (pic2) might be?

Could (Pic3) be a breaker designed for a double tap? It’s design is different than the others, I couldn’t read anything on it such as rated for a double tap.

In (pic4) it appeared that a linked 20 amp breaker had 2-14ga wires attached Blue and white wire. Breaker label was electric heat patio. The single 20amp breaker below ( the blue and white ) a pink 14ga wire fed the hot tub. This certainly is undersized or overfused.

Another thing the outdoor compressor for (heat pump ) was rated at 40amp, but the disconnect was 60 amp, this is overfusing isn’t it?

Thanks Gerald Wilcox

100.jpg

100.jpg

100_4269.JPG

100_4277 (WinCE).JPG

Where are the electrical guys?
Gerald Wilcox

Ahh…we are all out making a living I would guess…:wink:

I just stopped in the office and saw the post…if their was a UFER you would see the GEC within the panel enclosure or down from the meter outside…and chances are it would be a # 4 AWG conductor…if you don’t see this…and you see no GEC within the panel…then it probably has no GES at all…hard to tell if you can’t see it…we can only speculate…

Defer for evaluation…before you every guess…if you can’t determine this info you should defer it…if the sales agent or so on does not like it…thats their problem…you are protecting your rear end.

Ok…your questions…

Does anybody know what this short electrical cable (pic2) might be?
Answer: Did you lift up the switch cover…could simply be a switch to an outdoor light…

Could (Pic3) be a breaker designed for a double tap? It’s design is different than the others, I couldn’t read anything on it such as rated for a double tap.
Answer: I do know that CH brand of Cutler Hammer is approved for (2) 14-10 AWG conductors…thats the CH series…has this stamped on the side…SQ D QO is the other but this is not a QO so it is moot…just figured i would state it.

In (pic4) it appeared that a linked 20 amp breaker had 2-14ga wires attached Blue and white wire. Breaker label was electric heat patio. The single 20amp breaker below ( the blue and white ) a pink 14ga wire fed the hot tub. This certainly is undersized or overfused.
Answer: Now the 14AWG may be going to a 125V 15A GFCI plug to which a spa plugs into…and it may possible be fine…really need more info on the setup of the hottub itself.

As for the 14-2 AWG for the electric heat on the patio…depends on the unit as a small baseboard can be powered from a 14 AWG…all depends on the load in question…so tell us a little about the electric heat in the patio…is it a small 4’-6’ baseboard heater?

Another thing the outdoor compressor for (heat pump ) was rated at 40amp, but the disconnect was 60 amp, this is overfusing isn’t it?
Answer- If the disconnect outside is simply a pull out for example…it is fine as it is being protected by the 40A inside…remember the enclosure rating can be higher…but the wires and equipment must be properly protected via the nameplate…

Ok…gotta run…service call

Thanks Paul, Hoping to hear from the Guru. 1)I deferred the ground as I can’t find it.2)That short cable dead ends with tape. looked like 4/0 copper a little intimidating! 3)Thanks for info on double tap. 4)Yes the patio heater is about 5ft. 4.5)the spa is a large converted portable w/heater, and pump. You add water with a hose. 5)Yes it is a pull out…I’ll check what the breaker is.
Thanks again
Gerald Wilcox