2011 NEC to be adopted by TDLR

Electricians Proposed Rules
Chapter 73. Electricians
Proposal Filed: May 2, 2011 – Published in the Texas Register: May 20, 2011

The Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation (Commission) previously adopted the 2008 National Electrical Code (NEC) as its electrical standard. The rule change is necessary to update the currently adopted 2008 NEC edition to the most recent 2011 NEC edition as it existed on August 25, 2010, as adopted by the National Fire Protection Association, Inc. This edition becomes effective September 1, 2011. This rule change assures the regulated industry and the public that the prevalent industry standard will be consistent, up-to-date, and uniformly recognized by industry participants.

Official Announcement at:

http://www.license.state.tx.us/electricians/elecprop.htm

The 2011 appears to kill the concrete-encased electrode where a foundation is placed on a plastic barrier/sheeting. 2011 NEC doesn’t consider such foundation to be in “direct contact” with the earth. (2011 NEC 250.52(A)(3) Note)

Interesting. Is it reasonable to conlcude that all the UFER slabs over the past few years in Texas have vapor barriers? If so does that mean they are deficient? I realize you cannot see the vapor barrier. Just wonder what an inspector would do.

I guess you can go test the UFER. Builder electrician here says City of Houston and Pasadena are requiring 2 ground rods not less than 6 feet apart (down here). I know of no electrician that measures for less than 25 Ohm resistance. (Less than 25 Ohm resistance shall be augmented by one additional electrode.)

2011 National Electric Code 250.52(3) - Note: Concrete installed with insulation, vapor barriers, films or similar items separating the concrete from the earth is not considered to be in “direct contact” with the earth.

I always wondered how a concrete-encased electrode (CEE) worked where a foundation that was placed on plastic sheeting. Seems like it would always have been easier to just add a second ground rod instead of running out while the concrete is being poured to install a CEE when the NEC said if you don’t have one to not add one by disturbing the concrete. (a loophole)

If one doesn’t test, maybe - “For an effective earth ground if clients electrician cannot demonstrate a resistance to ground of 25 Ohm or less then a additional grounding electrode (rod type or other) is recommended to be installed.”

I bet on Sept. 1, 2011 we’ll see what electricians will be doing.