2012 iecc

Change on the new energy codes. Visual air leakage inspections are no longer acceptable.

[FONT=Berkeley-Black][size=2]Air Sealing Verification
[/size][/FONT][FONT=Berkeley-Book][size=1]The 2009 IECC requires that air sealing and insulation installation be verified
through either a blower door test or visual inspection. Visual inspection is
no longer an option for air sealing verification in the 2012 IECC.
[/size][/FONT]

Peter, this actually varies by location. The 2009 doesn’t always include the blower door and/or duct tester.

In addition, sometimes you do not need a blower door test. IE duct leakage with reference to the outdoors. If it is pre-construction there is no outdoors so no blower door is needed. If it is pre and post or just post construction then obviously a blower door and duct tester are required.

Just off the top of my head I believe that only GA and TX currently have 2009 and require duct leakage to the outdoors. In addition GA also requires the blower door test. I also believe that Houston adopted 2012. So even though TX is 2009, the city of Houston is fully on 2012.

Currently only Maryland has adopted 2012, but that is changing even by the week. Illinois goes live April 1st and I believe so does NC. Washington DC has also adopted 2012 and I think it goes live July 1st.

A lot of this is off the top of my head. We have started resources on our site for all of this, but it is tough to keep on top of it all due to the fact that cities, counties, states can all adopt it separately and they can modify any of the versions (including 2006 and 2003) to their liking.

For individual firms or people looking to do the testing you really have to stay on top of your local and state adoption of IECC as well as any other state/local government you can work in.

Also check out IRC. IECC is actually normally the commercial code, but can be adopted to residential. IRC is suppose to be the residential version, but this isn’t always the case. Like I said earlier, it is really hard to stay on top of it all on a national scale, but local adoption polices and implementation should be fairly easy to follow.

Jason Kaylor
VP of Specialty Products
AC Tool Supply
480-528-4045

Jason, This refers to ACH. The 2012 code state’s that air leakage can no longer be visually verified. This means on all new construction and renovations a blower door must be used. NH adopted the 2009 and is in the process of adopting the 2012.

Here’s some more info. Let me know if your interested in the whole NH energy code file, I’d be happy to send it to you.

Pete

[FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]
Air Sealing Verification
[FONT=Times New Roman]The 2009 IECC requires that air sealing and insulation installation be verified[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]through either a blower door test or visual inspection. Visual inspection is[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]no longer an option for air sealing verification in the 2012 IECC.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
Leakage Testing
[FONT=Times New Roman]If the testing option is chosen, tested air leakage must be less than seven[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]air changes per hour (ACH) when tested with a blower door at a pressure[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]of 33.5 psf (50 pa). Testing must occur after rough in and after installation[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]of penetrations of the building envelope and be conducted according the[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]specifications below:[/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley-Book]• Exterior windows and doors, fireplace and stove doors must be closed,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]but not sealed;[/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley-Book]• Dampers must be closed, but not sealed, including exhaust, intake,[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]makeup air, backdraft and flue dampers;[/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley-Book]Interior doors must be open;[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]2[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]3[/FONT]
4[FONT=Berkeley-Book]• Exterior openings for continuous ventilation systems and heat recovery[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]ventilators must be closed and sealed;[/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley-Book]• Heating and cooling systems must be turned off;[/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley-Book]• HVAC ducts must not be sealed; and[/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley-Book]• Supply and return registers must not be sealed.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]Visual Inspection[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]If the visual inspection option is chosen for verifying air sealing and[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]insulation installation, each item listed in the checklist below must be[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]field verified. Also see Appendix D.[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]The 2012 IECC requires all buildings to be tested and verified as having[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman]an air leakage rate of three air changes per hour or less, when tested with[/FONT]
[FONT=Berkeley-Book]a blower door at a pressure of 33.5 psf (50 pa).[/FONT]

Yep we are saying the same thing. I was talking about the modified versions of 2009 that are around. They won’t even allow for visual, blower door only. Currently, that is TX and GA. Once again I am not 100% up to speed on TX. I am sure Robert Spermo will chime in on this. His own standard he developed is actually one of the certifications in San Antonio that is allowed for training.

2012 absolutely calls for blower door for air leakage and duct leakage to the outdoors for duct leakage. Where the modified 2009, and 2012, codes differ so far is when it refers to post or pre construction. With pre construction there is no “outdoors” so the duct test can be done as total duct leakage vs only duct leakage to the outdoors at post construction. Over time I think they will all switch to post construction no matter what. You can have no leakage to pre then some other trade comes in and knocks a duct off or zips a screw through something, etc.

Yes I would love the NH code. I get a ton of feeds all day long about this stuff, but I have not received anything on the NH implementations yet. jason@aikencolon.com

Here is our IECC page: http://www.aikencolon.com/iecc-international-energy-conservation-code It is no where close to complete. If anyone has anything they want throw up there, we would appreciate the help.

Jason Kaylor
VP of Specialty Products
AC Tool Supply
480-528-4045

Thanks Jason,
I’ll send over the PDF.
I have spoken to a few building inspectors here in NH that will make blower door testing part of renovations too.

Yeah, DE is talking about applying 2012 to remodels as well.

For those interested, Dow has a webinar scheduled for this Friday.
Window Sealing Best Practices for Latest Energy Codes

Jason,

This is what Texas has adopted - the 2009 IECC for residential more than single family and commercial - Chapter 11 of the IRC for single family residential. Cities in Texas have adopted numerous codes! San Antonio has adopted 2009 IECC - Austin has adopted 2009 IECC and both cities have amendments. Houston is on their own agenda! I think I have convinced San Antonio that one does not need 5-6 days of training to conduct a blower door and duct leakage test. Remember theses “testers” are not fixing the problem just testing properly and recording the numbers!

The 2012 IECC (R403.2.2) does away with duct leakage to the outdoors and just requires total duct leakage