2020 to Date: Home Fire Fatalities

2 Likes

To be fair, that number is way lower than I would have guessed. Big shout out to all of the men and women that run head first into the heat to keep that number as low as possible. I can only assume that some of our membership here are either full time or volunteer fire fighters.

2 Likes

And there are agents out there that get mad when inspectors call out missing alarms or alarms that are more than 10 years old.

3 Likes

Fun fact. Did you know, when you see a smoke or CO alarm that is a dingy yellow color that it was designed that way? The manufacturers use a plastic compound that turns yellow over time. The compounds in them are Brominated Flame Retardants (bromine is in most ABS plastic, but a high concentration in smoke alarms). Every time I explain that to people they look at me like their world view just changed.

6 Likes

And here all this time I’ve been thinking that the sellers are just filthy.

Disgusting smokers!!

Full disclosure… I am an EX longtime smoker, so I get to say these things!!

1 Like

I had to help clean my grandparents house after they both died of cancer/smoking. The term ghosting does not even begin to describe the mess left on the walls, carpets, and ceilings. Everything that you took off the walls left a nice clean spot on the wall. The rest was just nasty yellow/brown tar. It even leeches through two coats of Kilz.

That’s an interesting take on flame retardants, but vintage computers, monitors and console games also had the same fire retardants and suffer the same age yellowing. All of the yellowing can actually be reversed by a process of mild bleaching in UV light. Computer cases are restored this way all the time.

Have to join you there. Ex myself, years ago I said I would quit when they reached a dollar a pack. LOL I smoked long past that, quit seven years ago, haven’t missed it.

1 Like

Top cause of home fires is still un-attended cooking!

1 Like

12 years in structural fire fighting, as both a full time paid and a volunteer (small pay in the volunteer Dept for having a certificate of compliance and being the training officer for the volunteer Dept).