220V

Originally Posted By: bdowd
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I just did a inspection on a three family home. I noticed a line coming out of the Elec. Pwr Box with its own ckt breaker It is a 220V line. It is runing from the basement, clamped to floor joist, going “THRU” rusted Bilco doors, Clamped to Alum siding, runing behine out side oil tanks. under leader, (it was raining that day and the water drain was pouring right on the 220V line) and thru hole in alum siding into apartment conected to 220V recepital which is not mounted-just laying on floor for electric stove. Besides the fact that there is no calking on the in and out holes (definitely water entry point) this looks like a code violation. I would assume that wiring of this type should run thru wall framing and be mounted. Is there some place I can go to to get some help on this matter, or site a code violation number? Thank You Guys

Originally Posted By: Richard Stanley

Improper and/or hazardous electrical wiring present. Immediate repair by electrical contractor recommended. – (Leave the code out of it).

Originally Posted By: dbush

Bruce, don’t site a code reference, because of the following:

1. YOU ARE NOT A CODE INSPECTOR, if you want to use something to justify it use "Standard Electrical building practice".
2. It is improperly wired, you can site several reasons, but make sure if you put anything besides it is improperly wired, that you put ALL of the reasons it is improperly wired, otherwise if they fix the reasons you list and don't fix the ones you don't mention you may have a problem.
3. You are going to recommend that a licensed electrician come in to properly wire the whole set up (right).

You can say that it is not right, safety hazard, etc. If it aint right, just say so.

--
Dave Bush
MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Bruce,

I believe Dave has given you some very sound advice. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers

Originally Posted By: bdowd

I want to thank you guys for all of your input.

Bruce A. Dowd ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Quote:
James Dowd 1-1-26 1-9-02 RIP "
"If i paid you what you are worth, you would wind up owing me money at the end of the job!"

Originally Posted By: dbush

Joe, that’s it, I have to leave now. That is twice that you agreed with and supported me. icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Dave Bush

MAB Member

"LIFE'S TOUGH, WEAR A HELMET"

Originally Posted By: gbeaumont

Hi Dave & Joe, you guys are starting to scare me all this agreeing with each other…well it just isn’t natural icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif icon_lol.gif

Regards

Gerry

--
Gerry Beaumont
NACHI Education Committee
e-mail : education@nachi.org
NACHI phone 484-429-5466

Inspection Depot Education
gbeaumont@inspectiondepot.com

"Education is a journey, not a destination"

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Gerry,

Is that not like one of Murphy's laws of improbabilities, two inspectors agreeing on the same thing!

Dave,

Eat my shorts! ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Joe Myers