240 v

Originally Posted By: jane molina
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Hi

I am really new at this and want to understand this area better so bare with me on to what some of you may calla dumb ? The 3 wires coming from the utility pole into your house , through the meter and to your panel , are they aluminum or copper? Also on a electric stove that uses 240, does it need both the 120v = 240v to operate this and 120 operates the lights and small stuff. How does that 240 really work with an appliance.

Jane

Originally Posted By: Gino Conner

Jane,

The service conductors that you are referring to can be aluminum or copper. In my area, most are aluminum. Some areas may require copper. In an area where either is acceptable cost will probably be the deciding factor as copper is more expensive than aluminum.

You are on the right track with your thinking. In dwelling units your 240/120 appliances are usually kitchen stove and clothes dryer. Both usually use the 240v that is available between the two power phases to power the current demanding heating elements, and the lower 120v to power the control circuitry, lamps, clocks, etc.

There are other appliances that can require 240/120. For example, I have a GE Advantium Microwave oven in my kitchen that requires a 240/120v 30a circuit because in addition to conventional microwave cooking it also has upper and lower heating lamps (Quartz Iodine I believe) to cook significantly faster and allows for browning.

There are also appliances that require 240v only. Two commonly found examples are central air conditioning system condenser units and heat pumps.

Does this help to answer your questions?

Originally Posted By: jane molina

Gino

Thank you very much , you have clarified this very well .

Jane

Originally Posted By: dbowers

Jane - If you haven’t gone yet, a good home inspection school will help put those type of issues into perspective. If you have gone and want more knowledge - most community colleges and trade schools have short courses on residential wiring.

Dan Bowers

Originally Posted By: tlempe

Theres a realy good book by Rex Cauldwell called wiring a house