Mesh Wiring In Furnace

Can you guys tell me what this is and why? also longevity?

CIMG8043 (Small).JPG

Would have to see the spec on the furnace it is new to me have not seen this before. My guess would be to help atomize the fuel as they are after the orifice. Probably constructed out of high temp wire but my thinking would be not to great on longevity

Built in spark arrester.:slight_smile:
I guess you looked up the model , and figure it must be a add on.

Make, Model, Age ??? is it an LP unit?

That SS mesh material is on my old style Mr. Heater

http://www.mrheater.com/Upload/Image/mh12twhite.jpg

Goodman Model#GMH80704BXAC SN#0709086461 2007

Yeah we see Goodman all the time.
No screens

I just spoke with my HVAC company he said “when you find out let me know”
he reiterated that why would anyone buy Goodman??

Seems to be the most popular model right now.
Just spent twenty minutes looking for your answer???

I find it quite often, always in brand new homes. Never found an HVAC tech who could tell me what it is, or why, but it apparently burns away after a couple of years.

I believe it is intended to reduce Nitrous Oxide emmisions.

A quote from the linked article:

“Flame Inserts
A simple means to reduce flame temperature is to insert a foreign object, such as a solid rod or porous screen, into a blue flame and allow the object to radiate red hot. As part of the heat liberated is transferred by radiation, the flame temperature is reduced and hence the NOx emissions are reduced. The inserts could be made of refractory metals or ceramics.”

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosphere/airquality/publications/residential/noxtechnology.html

I think Ralph may be onto something. That is a low Nitrous Oxide emission model according to Goodman.
Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

You are correct

Have you determined if these ‘Flame Inserts’ are offered/or per Manuf. Specs. or even allowed by Manuf.
I have two (2) Goodman NG Upflow furnaces (1-80%+ and 1-93%+) and have checked my Install./Serv. literature and have found nothing about these options. I’m guessing these won’t match up to well engineering specs. I’ll be interested to see what some of you find.

I don’t believe it is an “option” since out here they come “pre-installed” by the manufacturer, which I guess is why none of the HVAC techs here know what they do. Their speciality is not in determining what everything does, just in installing it and repairing it. Apparently there is no problem with them eventually burning away.

why would anyone want to reduce nitrous oxide emissions???..personally I believe the world would be a much happier place if we had more nitrous oxide…just my opinion…jim

I am so glad I have posted something that stumps everyone.:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I have checked with 4 HVAC guys and nobody has a clue :shock:

No you did not stump everyone Mr Brady gave you the answer:D I read the whole link makes sense to me. We never get to old to learn something new;-)

Re: Mesh Wiring In Furnace
I believe it is intended to **reduce Nitrous Oxide emmisions.

“Flame Inserts
A simple means to reduce flame temperature is to insert a foreign object, such as a solid rod or porous screen, into a blue flame and allow the object to radiate red hot. As part of the heat liberated is transferred by radiation, the flame temperature is reduced and hence the NOx emissions are reduced. The inserts could be made of refractory metals or ceramics.”

http://www.environment.gov.au/atmosp…echnology.html

[quote=cbottger]
No you did not stump everyone Mr Brady gave you the answer:D I read the whole link makes sense to me. We never get to old to learn something new;-)

Re: Mesh Wiring In Furnace
I believe it is intended to reduce Nitrous Oxide emmisions.

“Flame Inserts

IT SURE IS WEIRD THOUGH
A. No HVAC guy knows what this is for nor have they heard of it.
B. Heck we don’t know why all manufactures don’t do this.
C. So more information should be available don’t you think??

Brady got it right and a greenie to him for doing so. I all ready did by the way

But from time to time we get weird stuff that we just cant explain, we can find what it is but why do some have and 99% don’t? Its all good stuff
and the learning will always continue

[quote=tfarmer]

Mfg are always trying something new to get an edge on their competitors does not mean it always works. I have been retired since 02 and had seen a lot of Goodman furnaces just not one with any wire in the burner chambers appears to just be in one model only. Unless one was a Goodman dealer most HVAC techs would not know of this and would also be asking question when they ran into their first one. Too much technology out there between different MFG for a Tech to stay on top of all of it. Learn as you go.

When I was in the field made calls to different MFG all the time on new items.
</IMG></IMG></IMG>

Hello, gentlemen.
Long time lurker here. 1st post.

Apparently, there is a special version for the left coast.

Google “California NOX furnace”.

If this furnace is not in California, then it was shipped to the wrong distributor, or others are following their lead.