Plastic Square D service panel

What are the issues with a plastic electrical service panel cover, if any?
The service panel is made by Square D.

Thanks, for you help in advance.

Never seen a plastic one. What happened to the orignal one that goes with the box. I would imagine, umong other things that the box is no longer UL rated.

Big tease where are the photos.

tom

If this is the stock cover why would you think there was an issue?

If it is a makeshift replacement then definitely call it out.

I can’t say I have ever ran across a plastic service panel cover. I would question its ability to protect against arc flash and so on but alas I have not seen a plastic one before so I wont venture into the what ifs.

As speedy asks…is this a stock panel cover with the labels and what not on the inside door?

Yeppers…would LOVE some pictures…if available !

Didn’t believe it the first time, but yes, I have seen them.

Also ALL plastic 60A pull-out type disconnects. Midwest makes them.
I call them “Ducky Disconnects”. If you know Midwest you’d know why.

Darn, you can’t see the duck on the front. :frowning:

http://images.hardwareandtools.com/P/6124085.jpg

lol…funny man…I am refering to a Sq. D Service Panel…lol

Do others see an image posted here?

no…but I knew which model of disconnect speedy was talking about…I call them mallards…lol

I could not get the cover off, but I think the whole panel is plastic. The breakers are a ROCKER type.

I will try and send a photo later.

Thanks

I’ve seen the disconnects as well. I’ve also seen multi-breaker panels listed as “not for use as service equipment,” and “not rated for outdoor use.”

Really? Darn.
Why would it not be seen? Hmmm…

Paul, I have only seen small plastic breaker panels. Nothing like a 200A service panel.
What is the biggest you’ve seen?

The more I thought about it I believe their is a plastic panel cover and panel from Square D…so I went searching for it…is it a trilliant Panel Buck…I will attach a photo from one being sold on E-bay…

I have not had one of these in my hands myself…and not sure the story on them but I had another thread I did back last year about them…do a search on the word “trilliant”…

hi to all,

I remember the thread about Trilliant panels, I am sure they were discontinued years ago.

Here’s another plastic panel that I never found out the manufacturer of

Regards

Gerry

plasticpanel1.jpg

plasticpanel2crop.jpg

yeah…Trilliant was by Sq. D and it was manufactured from 1990-1996 and was their first attempt at a nonmetallic service panel. I guess it did not wear well as they dont manufacture it anymore…BUT they pull a nice price on surplus forums and on flea-bay…

it was only used for NM Cable and the like and had built in clamps…They did not sell well but if you indeed have one it will have the name on the cover.

Due to the lack of space in that enclosure I would venture to say it was probably made by some manufacturer trying to make a break into the industry…probably used standard other brand components and it just never caught on…but I could be wrong…

Paul,

The photo you posted is the exact same panel I saw today. It is a 150 AMP panel, it was installed 1991 in new construction.

THANKS!

When I learn how to post photos I will post the photos.

Yep…1991 most certainly a Trilliant panel…I dont recall any problems with them that i am aware of.

I do recall a actual " RECALL " on some surge arresters that were designed specifically for the “Trilliant” panels…so if they have a surge arresters installed on it and it has a model number of (Cat. No. SDT1175SB)…again they were made specifically for those type panels and the surge arresters was recalled.

Other than that…I am aware of no problems with these panels.

Given that Square D has a factory here in Lexington, KY, I’ve seen quite a number of these Trilliant panels.

The first time I ran into one, I called Square D about them.

No known problems. They were Square D’s attempt at a “decorator” panel.

They just didn’t sell well enough to continue production.

The cover is held on with four quarter turn twist lock screws. Twist the screw about 1/4 turn to unlock it and let the cover come off.

It can be a pain in the butt to get the lock screw back into the hole.

Other than that, inspect as usual.