Help please

RNC (rigid Non-Metallic Conduit) utilized for ac condensate drain - I need to prove RNC is not rated for a drain application.

I can’t find the damn spec sheet for some reason.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/duffy_5669/A2Z%20-%20Nightmares/199SenecaDr_10_26_08036.jpg

and…

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/duffy_5669/A2Z%20-%20Nightmares/199SenecaDr_10_26_08035.jpg

This is all I have on it:

“IRC M1411.3.2 Drain pipe materials and sizes. Components
of the condensate disposal system shall be cast iron, galvanized
steel, copper, polybutylene, polyethylene, ABS,
CPVC or PVC pipe or tubing. All components shall be
selected for the pressure and temperature rating of the
installation. Condensate waste and drain line size shall be
not less than 3/4-inch (19 mm) internal diameter and shall not
decrease in size from the drain pan connection to the place
of condensate disposal. Where the drain pipes from more
than one unit are manifolded together for condensate drainage,
the pipe or tubing shall be sized in accordance with an
approved method. All horizontal sections of drain piping
shall be installed in uniform alignment at a uniform slope.”

Why would you need to “prove” that an electrical item being used for something for which it was not designed to be used for (a violation of NEC 2005 103B) is improper?

Does anyone see a real problem with this installation?

The NEC doesn’t apply as it is not an electrical installation.

Thanks Joe unfortunately I have that … still looking for the approved applications of RNC. I know I’ve read and been told by plumbers/electricians alike that it is a no-no now I need the documentation to prove it.

I’d be more concerned with the lack of an anti siphon vent tee and riser.

pvc glue can not make a permanent water tight seal when used on RNC (so I’ve been told numerous times over the years. It’s always been taboo to my knowledge. If I’m wrong that’s fine …but I would like to find viable proof either way.

That isn’t an issue because it was already stated in the report and understood by all parties. :wink:

I agree that what ever solvent is used it must be compatible with both materials but there are solvents for this purpose.

Sorry.

Yep!!!

Well, after talking to 2 LICENSED electricians (licensed through a bordering state) and 1 LICENSED Plumbing contractor - they agree with Brian, they know of no codes/documentation to prevent it but they discourage doing it.
I’m just a deal killer I guess …well in this instance a hindrance to close escrow seeing as though my client bought the home anyway.

Feel free to throw your 2 cents into this.

Are the pipe and connectors different types of plastic ?, as that may be a problem.
May require different adhesives?

I’m not sure why you are even asking electricians. As Michael stated, this is NOT an electrical issue.

Your answer is right here:

Electrical conduit is not rated for pressure so that would preclude it from being used.

I agree, this is not a big deal, but it is not compliant.

Did you think about contacting the manufacturer of the RNC?

doing that tomorrow, had a lot of interesting responses from plumbers/electricians I know. Some say never use it, others say no problem.

Chris -

Tell you client (hopefully blonde): “It’s O.K…RNC should really be white. The manufacturer didn’t properly clean out the hopper after mixing a load of ABS DWV”…

:lol:

I can see your concern, relating to the solvent and any joints, but since the deal is done, just educate the client that this is not good and may be a source of leaks in the future. If your client is a betting man, he may decide to simply wait until it is a problem before he fixes it.

True, but the listing of the material applies under any circumstance. What would you say if this were EMT, Smurf Tubing, or perhaps LFMC?