Do you operate water mains?

Sad situation today. Arrived on site and the property was wet to the core. So much in fact there were water drops an the ceilings and paint throughout was bubbling and sagging like melted wax. The attic sheathing was shiny with frost.

I’m not sure who turned the water on but from what I gathered it may have been a neighbor who came out to the property a few days prior to turn on the water for my client. It was also mentioned that the property may have not been properly winterized.

Unfortunately the person who turned the water on did not perform a pressure test first to see if the lines would even hold pressure. And to top it off once they turned the primary valve at the floor it was rusted and would not turn off again. To make things even worse they could not find the main outside and had to leave the water running for some time, I don’t know how long. The driveway had to be broken up to locate the main so they could turn the water off.

This is a good example why home inspectors should never turn water on at a property unless you know exactly what you are doing. Turning water on prior to a pressure test is just asking for trouble.

waterdamage4.jpg

waterdamage3.jpg

waterdamage1.jpg

driveway.jpg

waterdamage2.jpg

Worth repeating.

I do not and this is a great example of why. Thanks for sharing Vince.

Wow Vince again you came across a duzzy lol. I haven’t in the past and certainly never will after seeing this aftermath.

R.E. Rep. called me yesterdaystating that the home on Sat. has been winterized and I should call the other “person of interest” before the inspection to learn how to turn it back on so that I can inspect it “properly”. After a brief but long pause, I said that I would not turn anything on but would get with the other person and have them turn it on.

I would have told the agent that that is his/her job (period!)

I don’t and your post is why.

It only takes one like that to mess up your biz for a long time.

I do not–and was once told by the buyer’s agent that it would be OK for me to turn on the water–water meter removed (left on the floor of the basement)…I inform the the agent it is the responsibility of the SELLER or his agent to have the utilities activated–not me, not the buyer, not the buyer’s agent, not the neighbor, not no one, not nohow.:cool:

Then I get a call from the seller’s agent…she says (among other things), “What kind of inspector are you, anyway!!!”:twisted:

I reply, calmly–"A damn good one, Ma’am. It is my job to inform my client and also to PROTECT my client."8-

Protect you client??–from who?":mad:

“You.”:roll::roll:

Then I get a call later from the buyer’s agent that the house will be de-winterized and the utilities will all be on.

“Thank you very much. I appreciate your help”, says I.;-):wink:

I guess you don’t pull any punches do you? :shock:
I’ve come to expect that I am expected to operate water main valves. It’s almost like there’s no question that I will just simply turn the water and gas on like it’s the norm for inspectors to do this.

That’s how many Realtors want you to think, Vince.

You have to train them on your business procedures.