4-point main panel question

How do you mark “main panel Amps” on the citizens report if the panel isn’t marked/stamped? Or are you supposed to commit on the size of the service entry wire?

Check the service meter outside, that’s your amps…

I typically go by the SEC and as Greg said meter as well if unable to determine with wire size.


If that is all the slots there are on that panel, and there isn’t a subpanel anywhere, there’s no way that way is rated for anything more than 100 amps

Check the wire gauge size from the meter that may give you a clue and add estimated to it.

From my observation, the main may be the top right breaker. I cant see the amps from the pic but looks to be 70. The only time I have seen a panel that small with few breakers is in one condo village where the units are small 1 and 2 bedrooms. The service disconnect was at one top corner.
That cant be the main panel, or main service disconnect. No other breaker in that panel looks like it could serve a sub unlessit was really small.

Locating the service conductor size is your best bet here. This IS your service panel (no 120V circuits), with another remote sub panel off of the upper right breaker. If the SEC size cannot be seen, the next clue would be the shape of the meter box…round = 60A, square = 100 or 125, rectangle = 150 +.

Looks like about a 100A service, but I always use the weakest component to list service amperage (SEC size, main breaker, panel max rating, meter box shape). I have seen 200A meters on 60A service before. I think the meter rating is just the maximum service rating it can be used for, and not a good indicator for the service amperage. And, if you don’t know, don’t guess, or list as “estimated”.

As John said be sure to add ESTIMATED

[quote=“btoye, post:7, topic:80034”]

. This IS your service panel (no 120V circuits), with another remote sub panel off of the upper right breaker.

Where are the main service wires if the upper right feeds a sub???

Most of the time its always listed at the disconnect, i.e. 100 amp, 150 amp etc. Either inside in the main PB or at the exterior. very seldom is the amperage not visible or marked.

The amperage noted inside the panel is not necessarily what the service is rated for. You have to compare the panel to the feeder to the main breaker and then take the lowest number. That will be your main panel amp.
If one of the 3 ratings is missing, then make sure to add ESTIMATED as John and Michael have said.