Fixture OK above Tub/Shower ?

It says suitable for damp location.
Does this need a special ring or a wet rating .

5260AD35d01.pdf (246 KB)

The fixture is okay, but there is supposed to be a protective cover over the bulb.

Not sure what you mean Mark?

Do you mean flat fixture glass sitting on the ceiling ring? or did you mean a gasket around the bulb socket.

I would say it needs a flat fixture that covers and protects the bulb from any splashing.

That’s what I think though I am not sure what suitable for wet location means *vs *damp.

Picture of the ring which has a foam gasket.

I can’t tell what that is in your picture. I’m just talking about a recessed light with a plastic cover over it. It doesn’t need to be completely water tight. It’s on the ceiling, and it isn’t holding water out like you would find in a swimming pool. It just needs to protect the bulb from splashes and condensation. If a hot bulb gets splashed it could easily break.

In your first picture, there is nothing protecting the bulb. It looks like the fixture itself is okay, but it is missing the vital cover piece to make it whole.

Ok that’s what I thought you meant.

Sounds crazy but do they make those kind of bulbs?

Spot lights are outside all over.

This is a subject I never think about because I do expect to see a glass light screen.

They make exterior bulbs. I honestly don’t know what makes them special. The one in your picture looks like an exterior bulb.

My guess is they are tougher and don’t break as easily. I still wouldn’t want one over a shower though. If a bulb bursts outside, there likely isn’t a naked wet person underneath it when it happens.

Yeah that’s why I am here.
I do not wish to say I recommend a Licensed Electrician examine and evaluate , “just because of that reason”.

I need good wordage here.

How about…

SAFETY CONCERN: While the recessed light fixture over the tub in the master bathroom is rated for a damp location; it is currently missing the vital cover over the bulb which would protect anyone in the case of breakage.The current occupants have installed an exterior bulb as a replacement. This is not a recommended practice nor suitable or safe repair. Recommend appropriate repair or replacement by a qualified electrical expert.

I may use that mark.
Thank you for the help .

The PDF file you provided has your answer. All of these trims are suitable for damp locations, but those suitable for “showers” or “wet locations” are specially marked.

Article 100 of NEC defines “damp location” and “wet location”. A shower is a wet location and a device suitable for a damp location is unsuitable for a shower and needs to be replaced.

Thanks Jim, I needed that info myself.

Here’s an corrected comment…

SAFETY CONCERN: While the recessed light fixture over the tub in the master bathroom is rated for a “damp location” it is not rated for use in a “wet location” such as over a tub. This fixture does not have a vital cover over the bulb which would protect anyone in the case of breakage.The current occupants have installed an exterior bulb as a substitute. This is not a recommended practice nor suitable nor safe for this location. Recommend appropriate repair or replacement by a qualified electrical expert.

Thanks JB
I will recommend replacement of that fixture.
Putting the report in this morning.

Why would the ceiling of a shower be be considered to be a wet location? Using the NEC definition of wet location it is not underground or subject to saturation, nor is it outside in an unprotected location. Using 410.4(D) only says listed for wet locations “if subject to shower spray”. I guess someone could spray the ceiling with a handheld showerhead, but that seems to be a stretch.

Seagull Lighting has several open baffle trims for recessed that are shower rated. The bulbs listed for use with the trims are either PAR 30 or 38 bulbs.

Jim,

Good info.

I like that comment.
(cut and paste time)

Does not the NEC, itself, refer you to the manufacturer’s instructions? Read the PDF file Bob provided and you will find that the manufacturer recommends, for showers, a fixture that is rated for a “wet location”.

I just wonder the difference?

Yes, 110.3(B) requires you to follow the instructions. I did not see any instruction that recommends a fixture for a wet location such as a shower. The housing do not make the difference. It is the trim installed. What I did see was this “[FONT=NewsGothicStd][size=1]
[size=2]All trims are suitable for damp locations; only shower trims are listed for wet locations.
[/size][/size][/FONT]”
If this is what you are referring to I do not see that the same way you interpreted it. To me if the location is wet it needs a shower trim, a damp location could use any trim available. I do not see the ceiling as a wet area. I would not consider that PDF as an instruction either. It is more for trim selection than installation requirements.