5/8 deck bolts

Does anyone have a copy or can cite from CABO when deck bolts were required. I know I was installing them in the 80’s…thanks.

Jeff

Jeff,

This might help www.decks.com

Here is another good site. http://www.thedeckbarn.com/howto-buildadeck.aspx

I appreciate the response guys but I know how to build decks… I am looking for an old BOCA reference… once the ICC took over in 2000 I threw my BOCA NC residential book away and I wanted to reference same to my client whose seller is stating that they were not required at the time the home was built. I spoke with one of the AHJ whom I have worked with over the last 15 years…he said it was in there but he too no longer has his BOCA book but validated that it has been required for at least 15 years…at least in my county.

thanks

Jeff

Jeff,

I would say that you are correct, they have been around a long time. What do you think of the 1/4 inch diameter structural wood screw that is suitable for deck ledger?

Depends on the shear strength and the number of screws used.
Many fasteners are made overseas where the heat treatment differs from here in the US

GRK http://www.grkfasteners.com/en/RSS_1_2_information.htm

http://www.grkfasteners.com/index.asp

Made in Canada:)

P6100006.JPG

P6100010.JPG:slight_smile:

These are allowed by local AHJ.

Pretty lienient code enforcement in your area huh!:mrgreen:

Apparently in this particular town. I did get them to add more, they were at minimum 48" center. It was only a $400,000 house, new construction, what do you expect. :stuck_out_tongue:

:shock:

They didn’t like “wasting” fasteners for hangers at joist either, pic. 3. :wink:

It sure makes me wonder on where they learned to build things. :):roll:

I do not see the bolts staggered 16" o.c. every other on the ledger either in picture 4. I am wrong. Look at picture 4 I see a pattern far right then nothing for well over 24" inches. Not just the type but appears not even close to enough…

It looks like white wood, Marcel…

No, it wasn’t Larry. Just a camera lighting. HD or Lo PT. lumber. :slight_smile:

10-4, my friend. :smiley:

Doing a code inspection Jeff?

Hi Ken,

The home owner was an engineer…when he got hold of the report he was not happy. The main contention was the deck and roof over the deck. Common sinkers were used to build the deck and improper ventilation of the roof resulted in over 100 nails backing out due to thermal expansion and contraction. The deck bolts were a side issue. I have been building homes in NC since the early 90’s and every county I have built has required bolts… when the ICC came out I discarded my BOCA book and other requirements held by local surrounding counties.

The homeowner’s agent was not happy and called me numerous times to question my findings, mostly about the roof. She said that its common for nails to back out and wanted me to quote coded to back my findings for which I refused to do. (Other than the deck issue, many of the issues were from improper installations methods)
She was also complaining that she had so much money tied up into this listing that she was not going to make any money…of course she didn’t appreciate it when I told her that was not my concern.

She called me back later and advised an engineer went to look at the roof and said only a few nails were backing out and it was due to the angle of the nails.
I advised her that I seriously doubt an engineer would make such claim and if he did then she needs to have it in writing for which again such claim would discredit his honesty in light of the evidence I had to disprove such a position (I suspect the engineer was no other than the home owner himself).

Both the owner’s real estate agent and my client hired separate GC’s who much to the agents dismay, came out and backed my findings.

There were some other issues such as improper installation of the Fiber Cement Siding, insulation issues etc, which I also believe led to the engineer taking my report personal since he had the home built for himself and supposedly oversaw the project.

When I went back to re-inspect the repairs, you could cut the tension with a knife… in the end they made repairs and some monetary concessions.

Here in NC some inspectors, typically novice, were writing reports which would state that certain discrepancies violated code yet they would not cite code. As a result the HI board stepped in and made it so that if an HI mentions the word code then they must cite and provide documentation.

In all my years of inspections I have not and still do not reference code… I will provide ICC-ES reports at times to back my findings.