6-Foot Rope for Home Inspectors

Just talked to a home inspector about why he has a 6-foot rope in his tool bag. He uses the rope for estimating the 6-foot rule related to GFCI-protection in the kitchen.

In the 2021 IRC, it says 125-volt through 250-volt receptacles that are located within 6 feet (1829 mm) of the top inside edge of the bowl of the sink and supplied by single-phase branch circuits rated 150 volts or less to ground shall have ground-fault circuit-interrupter protection for personnel.

And NEC section 210.8(A) has been expanded in the 2020 edition to not only include 125-volt receptacles but to now include receptacles up to 250-volt. That means that receptacles that operate at 250-volt, such as those for an electric range would now need GFCI protection but only if it is installed within six feet of the edge of the sink.

5 Likes

Typically a person’s wingspan, the tip of their middle finger on their right hand to the tip of their middle finger on their left hand, when outstretched to their sides is equal to their height (you may want to check to be sure). Being that I am very close to six feet tall I don’t need a rope. :wink:

8 Likes

I carry a measuring tape. It takes up less room in my bag.

17 Likes

But what do you do if you run into a goat? :goat:

4 Likes
3 Likes

Good inside rule. I’m still trying to figure how he keeps the rope from drooping between counters. Must be a rope charmer!
Cling And Clatter_ Image

8 Likes

He has to hold it between his outreached hands if the charming does not work. LOL

I think he nailed it. :smile:

1 Like

Depends on the local AHJ and their inspector… May need a measuring “rope”…
arms

2 Likes

lol, How the pyramids were built.

Then there is this thing, a leap forward for mankind.

3 Likes

Is there going to be a NACHI branded 6’ rope?

6 Likes

Make sure you carry a 30" piece of rope and a 10" 8" 4" and other handy pieces OR you could just carry a 25ft 1" retractable measuring thingy.

6 Likes

Great idea! You should invent a thing with foot and inches markings that winds up into a case and can be carried on your belt.

3 Likes

Someone already did. Picked this one up to use at inspections. Love it!

9 Likes

Speaking of tape measurers. Who will be the first to reply with the correct answer.

Why does the tip (tang) of a tape measurer slide in and out a fraction of an inch?

4 Likes

To allow for the thickness of the hook. LOl :roll_eyes: when measuring inside and outside measurements.

7 Likes

Not to scare the goats?

2 Likes

Yeah, I am in here watching you guys. LOl. :flushed:

1 Like

@sbridges2 Bingo! Here is your prize

2 Likes

Careful they can read minds… :goat:

1 Like

Never trust anyone or anything that has eyes like this…

On a side note, they can measure 6’ just by looking.

1 Like