60 amp electrical service

Originally Posted By: cbouchea
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

What do you do if you find a 60 amp service?

Do you call it out as a defect?

Since I understand anything under 100 Amp can't be insured by the new ower?

Thanks,

Christopher Bouchea
Inspect-it 1st Property Inspection

Originally Posted By: jpope

cbouchea wrote:
Since I understand anything under 100 Amp can't be insured by the new ower?

I don't know where you got that information but I don't believe it to be true.

60 amp service may be completely adequate for a 500 sq. ft condo but substantially undersized for a 4000 sq. ft. single family home.

It's not necessarily a defect.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: ekartal

cbouchea wrote:
What do you do if you find a 60 amp service?

I would recommend an upgrade if the buyer would like electric appliances. ![nachi_sarcasm.gif](upload://6HQh6KbNiD73gqTNQInjrR2zeJw.gif)

Erol Kartal

Originally Posted By: dhadler

the upgrade at about 1300.00 (don’t forget that’s Canadian $) that brings in a new service from the mast down, new meter and base, plus a new large panel.

Darrell Hadler

Five Star Home Inspections

Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA

Originally Posted By: jmyers

Christopher,

I have to agree with Jeff P. Load calcs are well beyond the scope of a home inspector and I would certainly shy away getting involved from recommending one, unless of course you are coming across a 4,000 sq foot home with a 60 amp service. ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Typically when I recommend a load calc, I am seeing more than 80% of the capacity of the panel being used at the same time. That means you are using the electric stove, electric water heater, electric heater or A/C unit, electric dryer....etc. at the same time which is possible.

I too have come across those situations where the insurance company refused to insure a home because it had a 60 fused dis-connect. There was hardly anything at all in the home electrical wise since it was gas almost everything....stove, heater, water heater.

--
Joe Myers
A & N Inspections, Inc.
http://anii.biz

Originally Posted By: dsmith1

If the home has gas stove, gas water heater, gas furnace and no other big draws why would 60 amp not be adequate. I do alert my clients that the entry is small for todays life styles and should they want to convert to electric appliances or other big draw items like air conditioning the entry may not be adequate. I do not get into calculating load but if there is any doubts I will add a paragraph to the effect that the entrance may be at or near its limit and to have it verified by an electrician before adding any extra load. The insurance issue may be regional,it does not seem to be a problem here. Here I need to add a paragraph for old oil tanks since insurance companies are asking that any tanks over 25 years old or that the date can not be verified be changed no matter what condition they are in. I also had one client whose insurance company asked what type of wiring he had and would not insure that house until the aluminum wiring was verified by an electrician.

Originally Posted By: Greg Fretwell

Load calcs on a home is not that tough. You can get a quick and dirty by calling the first 500 sq/ft 3000va (that also catches the kitchen and laundry), then use 1va per sq/ft for the rest (really 1.05 if you have a calculator). The range is 8000, 5000 each for the water heater and dryer. Use the larger of the heat or AC nameplate and whatever else is fixed in place. I wouldn’t get too excited about dishwashers, disposals and microwaves. If you have a bunch, toss in another 500-1000va, they are intermittant loads anyway.

14400va is 60a, 24000 is 100a, 36000 is 150a and 48000va is 200.

That will get you close and you can almost do it on your fingers.

You know if you were fudging high or low if it is close to a service increment.

Originally Posted By: cmccann

Thanks Joe, we get your point! icon_lol.gif

NACHI MAB!

Originally Posted By: kmcmahon

Definately not a defect unless undersized for the home. I don’t write it up as a defect. I just usually recommend an upgrade. It is true that some will not insure a home unless it has a minimum of a 100amp service.

I saw you post this on the WAHI board...interesting answers there too.

Chris, any idea on when the WI NACHI will get going?

--
Wisconsin Home Inspection, ABC Home Inspection LLC

Search the directory for a Wisconsin Home Inspector

Originally Posted By: dhadler

I don’t write it up as a defect because according to local codes at the time it was sufficient…but we ADVISE our client that they should check with their insurance co. as this is becoming a requirement as of late.

We then tell them an approximate price just as a ball park if it's needed. It's kind of a courtesy notation. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

I don't get involved in the calculation thing...the insurance co. want a journeymans electrician certificate, which I'm not.

--
Darrell Hadler
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA