New Build/Gas line ground

Is it required in new builds to ground the gas line? There was no CSST piping and I always thought you bonded the gas line but this was connected to a rod in the floor.

Not the best pic in the world but you can see the connection at the gas line, the one on the floor I missed in my pic, maybe I should hire a professional photographer.

198011 017 (Small).JPG

In 250.104(B) we are told that gas piping is to be bonded but it allows this bonding to be done as follows:
The equipment grounding conductor for the circuit that is likely to energize the piping shall be permitted to serve as the bonding means. The points of attachment of the bonding jumper(s) shall be accessible.

Should there be some sort of flexible connection of the gas line to an appliance then the installation instructions of the flexible pipe could mandate the bonding of the gas pipe with a bonding jumper of #6 or larger.

Bonding is required in most jurisdictions, you are correct. The bonding connects the piping to the grounding electrode, which essentially means that the piping is “grounded.”

It is a prohibited practice to use the gas piping as the grounding electrode and/or the grounding electrode conductor for the electrical system.

In other words, the gas piping cannot be used as the primary connection from the electrical panel to the ground-rod, and the gas piping cannot be used as the system ground.

So, as long as the rod you spoke of is connected to the electrical panel with a separate conductor, your picture is of the required bonding for the gas piping.

I agree with Mike. The gas pipe is permitted to be bonded by the EGC in the gas appliance circuit. The bond in the photo is permitted but not required.

Thanks for the professional responses and information.

I agree with Jeff. There should not just be a wire from the gas piping to the ground rod. Are you sure there weren’t separate wires from the gas piping and the ground rod to the panel?

What if the conductor was coming from a Ufer or rod and happened to bond the gas line on the way to the panel?

The NEC says;

[size=2][size=3]shall be bonded to the service equipment enclosure, the grounded conductor at the service, the grounding electrode conductor where of sufficient size,
or the one or more grounding electrodes used.

It would be fine to bond the gas pipe to one of the grounding electrodes

[/size][/size]

A continuous conductor from the GE to the panel, also attached to the gas line?

Sounds acceptable to me…

I’m somewhat surprised that this new building doesn’t have a concrete encased electrode. It’s also rather odd that the ground rod is sticking up through the slab. Unless it was 10’ rod it would would not have 8’ in contact with the earth as required. Is the GEC connection definitely to a ground rod? I was thinking that maybe it was a turned up piece of rebar from the CEE.

Since the gas piping is not an electrode then the connection to it woild need to be unbroken if the GEC continues onto the actual electrode.

Dave if you are inspecting the electrical connections on a new build you are in violation of Ohio law. May I please see your certificate as per 3783 ORC. I am formally asking you for this.

Mike I take it you are looking for a sticker like this but with a 2009 date on it?
I can not provide one as I am not licensed or State certified.

I was hired to perform a general inspection for my client, not a code inspection. No license requirements in state of Ohio for performing a general inspection. The picture for this post was inquiring on proper electrical practices for a gas line connection.

198811 021 (Small).JPG

Mike are you a douche to everyone or just Ohio inspectors?

Can I see your license?

This is a place to ask questions and learn. If you are not going to contribute then you may consider going somewhere else.

Touche’. :wink:

Agreed…I am not licensed in OHIO…but I bet the OHIO board can’t stop me from looking at them and commenting on them…;)…Mr. Parks…Please turn me in to the OHIO board for helping people understand how to inspect them…I will laugh at the board.