NEUTRAL and ground together in sub panel

When is it ok to put ground and neutrel on same bus bar.

If the panel was located at a separate structure and they were under the 2005 (I believe) or earlier versions of the NEC.

… and there are no other metallic paths (connections) between the structures, i.e. metal conduit, metal piping, cables/low voltage wiring, fencing, etc.

Yes that’s true. I was focusing on the requirement applying to separate structures. If the structures are not separate then I don’t think that it was ever permitted.

A difficult thing to determine during a home inspection, so refer it to a sparky.

That has always been my position as an inspector.

In any enclosure that contains the service disconnect is the only place where this is permitted except in earlier editions of the NEC where a remote building is supplied by a three wire feeder and another grounding electrode system is established.

Thank you , Mr Whitt. I have one more question, this remote well I am hooking up is a 3 wire connection and I was wondering if I could use a single pole 120/230 breaker.

Is this a home project or is it related to an inspection?

It is an inspection,thank you.

A single pole breaker will only supply 120, not 240.

A tandem will allow two circuits of 120.

Good to know and note taken.
My weakest subject for now.:mad:

Why do they sell a single pole 120/230 breaker if it cant do what it says::roll:

Not sure I understand, where are you finding a 120/230 volt circuit breaker? If anything a slash rated breaker would be 120/240 not 230.

James you said this

Ask your self, where would I connect 3 wires at a panel with a single pole breaker?

As much as I would want to I can’t give DIY answers on this site

Thank You I get very nervious when I see some Homies Giving advice .

… Roy

Or in a seprately derived system. You won’t find many separately derived systems in a typical residence but you might run in to them on farms and such.

James,

I mean no disrespect but I really think you should hire an electrician. This isn’t something you can learn from a message board or a $10 book from home depot.

When I was an apprentice electrician, I worked with a fellow whose neighbor was electrocuted. The guy who was electrocuted was a farmer. He had installed a fuel pump for his tractors some thirty-plus years earlier. It was wired incorrectly. One day, conditions were right, he touched the right spot and it was all over.

I worked for a long time as an electrician and electrical contractor. During that time, I did some fire restoration work. It wasn’t until I started doing fire investigations that it really hit just how big a problem this DYI trend has become. I have seen so much devastation it is mind boggling over what? Saving a hundred bucks on and not hiring an electrician! It is insane!

The majority of electrical fires are caused by loose connections and other very basic errors. To date, more than 90% of the fires I have investigated were, on their face, in compliance with the NEC and all other building codes.

In the jurisdiction where I was (and still am) licensed, an electrician has to have 8,000 documented hours experience just to qualify to take the journeyman exam. The General Electrical Contractor license requires 16,000 hours.

Think about that. That is a lot of experience. There is a reason for it. Electricity is nothing to fool around with. If you want to save money, buy generic products at the grocery store, put cheap gas in your car or find some other way to save money. Hire an electrician!

And you can essentially buy a home inspector certification from any number of sources! Go figure!