Receptacles in Walk in Closets

Are receptacles required in walk in closets when in falls withing the required linear footage.

It’s a room at that point isn’t it?

General purpose outlets apply for pretty much all rooms.

If there is open accessable wall not covered up by shoes, clothing, etc. one should be added for convenience in my opinion. :slight_smile:

Not required in closets.

Not required but allowed.

Except as otherwise required, receptacles shall be installed
in the finished walls of every room or area, other than
kitchens, bathrooms, hallways, laundry rooms, utility rooms or
closets, so that no point along the floor line of any usable
wall space is more than 1.8m (6’) horizontally from a
receptacle in that or an adjoining space, such distance being
measured along the floor line of the wall spaces involved.

Must be a different Code Book Mike.

E30901.2

Like said above by Joe W. , not required but allowed.

General purpose receptacle distribution.
In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sun room, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with the general provisions specifying spacing in E3901.2.1. :slight_smile:

Huh, Marcel?

I said not required.

What did you read?

Read it wrong somehow. It does read confusing.

I agree but what it says is that unless required by other a read of the code the listed locations do not require outlets along the walls.

E30901.2

General purpose receptacle distribution.
In every kitchen, family room, dining room, living room, parlor, library, den, sun room, bedroom, recreation room, or similar room or area of dwelling units, receptacle outlets shall be installed in accordance with the general provisions specifying spacing in E3901.2.1.

I like the way this one reads.

Could have one but not required.

That is the place the women are going to put the ironing board and Iron. I suggest it might be a good Idea for the Husband to have least one if they don’t want steam coming out of the ears of the wife after move in. LOL

I agree, and this would apply to any closet not just the walk-in type.

I don’t agree with a outlet in any closet. I don’t care what the Code says. There should not be an outlet in a closet unless it is a walk in type.
Do what you want but that is in all my reports so don’t start on the big EGO trip that it is OK.

When you see an receptacle in a 3 x 5 closet do you report it as a safety hazard?

Kevin I haven’t seen one in a closet so I’ve never really thought about it. What is the problem with one in the closet?

You may found one in a closet if a closet was added where a receptacle was present on the wall behind. I would warn about the risk of using extension cords through walls and doors.

John I can get pictures but you are right and I have observed some very scary conditions of outlets against dresses like polyester plus running through the wall plug ins on renos ect.

Wish I had a nickel for every alarm system I have installed a receptacle in a closet for. I would buy some of the members here a chill pill

I see outlets in small hall closets all the time, as that is where the security system is often times. I have them in my large walk in closets and the pantry because that’s where I keep my re-chargeable tools and cell phones.

However, you would be stepping out on a limb to recommend one or cite it as wrong if absent.

With your permission Joe let me also add the word present to this statement.

I could have worded it better. What I was trying to say is that it’s irrelevant to us as a home inspector if there is an outlet in a closet or not, unless it’s wired improperly or missing a faceplate.