8 Unexpected Factors that can Threaten your Home Sale.

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/real-estate/selling/8-unexpected-factors-can-threaten-your-home-sale?page=1

A more readable layout here: http://www.mainstreet.com/print/24753

Nice… :slight_smile:

Elizabet Mendall and her husband practically run MAR. Maybe Realtors will start to listen and recommend prelisted inspections.

And Nick, good job!

very nice!

Banks that sell homes need to listen, too, especially when it comes to foreclosed and vacant properties. They can do repairs, clean, and get more money for the home. Home inspectors can get added revenue by monitoring these vacant properties for up-keep, such as insects and lawn mowing. Doing a few repairs and cleaning can sell a home fast, and at added value and price.

Agents and lenders are not getting the message, and are missing out on added home sale commissions. When homes get pre-inspected, repairs can be made, cleaned, and the home sale prices can actually be raised, and then the agents get more commissions.

With new licensing laws and lender tightening, these pre-sale inspections are not even considered by RE offices and RE agents. Repairs must be made for homes to reach appraisal and to sell. People are just not getting the message. They all should look to California, who sell homes faster with pre-sale inspections. My aunt’s home in Palo Alto sold in two days with a pre-sale inspection, and for a higher price than what she was asking.

Just think if we did pre-sale inspections on thousands of homes nationwide, the dozens of jobs we would create and the increased home sales our efforts would generate.

Nice, Nick. Keep it coming.

Most of the houses I performed a prelisting inspection on, sold with a few days and one within a few hours of releasing the report. The ones that did not sell right away was priced way too high. Sellers need to understand that even though you have a well maintained house, you cannot sell it more than what the bank will loan money on.

It should become the norm for all homes to be pre inspected when put on the market. I find that the brokers I know agree but it’s harder to convince the agents to convince their clients. The pre inspected homes do sell quicker and for more money typically.

A recent Pre-Listing Inspection.
Seller provided Buyer with a copy of the Report.
they proceeded / contracted (AOS) to purchase Home and hired their own Home Inspector (Inspector not knowing the property was Pre-Inspected).

Their Inspector failed to Identify the Deficiencies previously disclosed (Seller Disclosure).

The sale is now proceeding with the Full Price Offer…

My Client is very happy…

Very interesting info…

Thanks!

The article recommends slanting exterior steps to prevent icing.
The actual verbiage is “exterior steps should be sloped to prevent water settlement and icing”.
The greatest slip hazard on stairs is a tread sloped down & away from the riser, which would indeed prevent ponding of water.
Even with dry steps, many shoes lack decent traction. The commercial sector has responded to this with rubber tread nosings and sloping the treads toward the riser.
In the case of ponding water, or even ice, the direction of slippage is directed onto the tread and dead ending at the riser; instead of slipping off the tread causing one to fall.
In freezing climates ponding of water is only one means of introducing an icy surface.
Exterior steps at subfreezing temperatures ice instantly when precipitation changes to misty rain. They become a skating rink. With treads sloped away from the riser your feet go out from under you. With level treads, or sloped at the riser, your feet stay under you.
I am a Master Carpenter and staircase enthusiast. My Bible is “A Treatise on Stairbuilding & Handrailing” by W&A Mowat , with additions 1985. A classic text for Joiners, Architects, and Restorers. It was the technical instruction for The London Institute of Science and Art Department in Carpentry and joinery and Building Construction. Published in 1900, and at 390 pages, it became the foremost text on the subject and remains one of the most lucid, best illustrated & authorative works on the art and science of stairbuilding and handrailing. Our current “ Stair Codes” have devolved into a few sentences, with meaning twisted by scribes copying from one code release to the next. ( it is NOT OK to vary riser or tread by 3/8”, but the transcription worded it so!)
I am writing this to advise you that the suggestion to “slope treads” is a liability waiting to happen.
One winter in Lynn,MA a woman slipped on icy front steps & fell and broke her hip. I learned of this from the attorney the woman hired. He asked me to take a look at the steps. I discovered the landlord had hired a HandyMan or some other inexperienced worker to build the steps. Having been unable to calculate the run & rise correctly, the stairs were too short; which caused the treads to slope down & away from the risers.
A mist had fallen on the 20 degree treads and froze the mist on contact. The woman fell immediately as she bore her weight onto the top tread. Her foot slipped away instead of back toward her.
I gave the lawyer my Treatise on Stairbuilding. He was shocked to learn how much science went into the design & construction. He was delighted to learn that stairs must never be constructed with the treads slanting down. The Landlord learned a hard lesson as well. Hiring unskilled craftsmen cost him that lawsuit. Obviously the Court was impressed with the Treatise I provided.
If someone took the advise in “8 unexpected—“, on stairs, and caused someone else harm from a slip & fall, I would expect they would turn around and blame InterNAHCI.
You could add “toward the riser” after “sloped”, and add limit the slope to 3/16” in 12”. And add “a firm handrail” to the equation.