Mix of breakers in Siemans panel

Hi all,

Came across a new Siemans panel with a mish mash of circuit breakers installed in it.

Here are the manufacturers.

Siemans - Ok
Westinghouse
Cutler Hammer
GE
Square D

I’m tempted to defer to a sparky on this one as I’m not making much headway on finding out if all of these CBs are allowed in this panel. I checked the legend but it didn’t help.

Tom

E mail Siemans and ask them. Then, include that in your report and make your recommendation.

If I remember correctly, the NEC says you can use any breaker that is rated for that specific use. On the other hand, I am pretty sure the manufacturer doesn’t want other breakers in their panels. Kind of like putting a Ford engine in a Chevy car.

I’ll be calling Siemans this morning to see if I can get an answer.
The mix of cb makers in the panel makes me very suspicious.

I just did research on this one.
The answer is NO!
The only breakers good for a new seimens panel are seimens breakers.

Thanks Sean, can you let me know where you found this info.?

Happy Holidays,

Tom

Directly from seimens. Of course the label should also have it as well. All new panels will be brand specific.
Its the older panels that have been bought by other companies that generally take some type of retro breaker, for obvious reasons.

Usually the printed “legend” inside the panel will tell you what breakers are allowed, unless it’s missing.
All residential Siemens panels that I’ve seen allow ONLY Siemens breakers. Not even Murray, which are physically IDENTICAL to Siemens.
I’d defer to a sparky.

What’s their definition of new? 2010, 2013?

For the most part the label will have all the information you need, regardless of age. There are few breakers that are listed or classified for other brands of panels.

Any “siemens” brand panel. Thats all they stated.

“What breakers are allowed in this panel” is a perennial topic on many forums.
Here’s the definitive answer: If the panel’s label does NOT mention that specific breaker brand and model, the said breaker is not “legit” for that panel.

The exception are “classified” breakers made by Eaton. They were made and tested by Eaton and classified by UL to fit into almost any panel: http://www.eaton.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=296934

The panel manufacturers may try to IMPLY that they did not authorize those breakers. They cannot win win that argument legally, that’s why they can only IMPLY this – they can’t flat out say that the “Classified” breakers will void their warranty, because that would be against the Magnusson Moss Warranty Act: http://www.connecticut-electric.com/TechDocs/Breakers/UL%20Classification%20Explanation.pdf

I have done a very extensive research on this, so you can take my words to the bank :wink:
And no, I do not wok for Eaton :slight_smile:

Thanks for the great info Mike!

Let’s be careful out there…

Hi Thomas (Hession).
I read the thread you referenced… very interesting.
It does look like an Eaton Classified CHQ breaker, and it **is **UL listed/classified: the tiny print between the “classified product” semi-circles reads “Und. labs inc.”
I tend to agree what William Blackmon said in that thread: chances are, the bus was damaged by the previous breaker, so this one does not engage properly now.
I doubt there is an inherent or a widespread problem with Classified breakers, otherwise we’d been hearing more about it.
From the inspection standpoint, if the manufacturer can be identified and the literature stating the breaker’s compatibility can be easily located, the breaker is “kosher”, and any other issues can be reported as a routine malfunction, not an improper installation.