9 throws to kill power

Originally Posted By: mpettitt
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I ran into a piece of property that had a duplex with an exterior main panel with 200 amp main breaker. Behind this duplex was a separate building (large garage) used for commercial as a auto repair shop. The 125 amp sub-panel inside this garage was fed from the main panel on the duplex with a four wire feed. There was no conductive path between the two buildings. The neutral and grounds were bonded and there was no main breaker (9 throws to kill power). Should the neutrals and grounds be isolated and should a main breaker be installed. thanks

Originally Posted By: bking

It is optional to bond the neutral and grounds in a detached building like that I think. The 9 breakers are over the 6 limit but not typically enforced by most AHJ’s when just 9. Commercial use of the building could open up another set of rules too…

This is one of the times it is good that we are not responsible for quoting code. Just report the bonding and the 9 breakers but not necessarily as a defect.

--
www.BAKingHomeInspections.com

Originally Posted By: jpope

a single disconnect except at its feeders from the service equipment.

For load side equipment in separate buildings, there are several requirements that must be met in order to allow bonding of the neutrals and grounds.

As I've said in other posts, it's better as HI's to defer these conditions rather than try and verify that everything is proper.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738