A/C breaker larger than manufacturer recommends

Originally Posted By: srowe
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I have come across multiple panels that have larger breakers than what the manufacturer states as “MAX BREAKERS” size. I understand that some manufacturers have some (+ or -) with sizing, at least that is what some HVAC guys tell me, but what is the ruling?

I see this alot when homeowner upgrades A/C to more efficient system.

Do other inspectors make recommendations on this frequently?

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

If the disconnect breaker/fuse and the service panel breaker/fuse are both oversized I write it up. It isn’t within manufacturer instructions.

Originally Posted By: rwashington

I agreee with Blaine. Oversizing the breaker would void the warranty, if the unit is still relatively new, on the compressor.

Richard W Washington

www.rwhomeinspections.com

Originally Posted By: pdacey

I see it and write it up all the time. It usually happens when the unit has been replaced. The tech doesn’t take the time (or want to ) to check the existing breaker and replace it if necessary.

Slainte!

Patrick Dacey
swi@satx.rr.com
TREC # 6636
www.southwestinspections.com

Originally Posted By: dedwards

I am just repeating what others have said but I too see it often and it is usually when a unit has been replaced/upgraded. As it was explained to me once by someone in the HVAC trade. Technically the breaker and its replacement belongs to the electricians and should not be replaced by an HVAC tech unless he is also “qualified” to perform that job. They inform the homeowner that it needs to be replaced before they leave and the homeowner figures as long as its working why mess with it and the added expense. I always write it up and just like HVAC tech leave it up to the other parties to do the right thing.

Originally Posted By: Brian A. Goodman

Yep, I see that one a lot also. I write it up every time.

I've noticed that almost every time the recommended size is a "tweener". It'll say 35 instead of 30 or 40, 45 instead 40 or 50, etc. Ever try to find a 35 or 45 amp breaker? Good luck. You might find some tweeners in big cities, but they're not common anywhere.