A/C most common problems

Originally Posted By: cbottger
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

In all of my years of working on A/C units I would state that there are two Items both equally important and equally abused that created a large amount of my service calls. These items should also be checked by HI’s in a normal routine inspection of the A/C unit and duly reported if visible or even suspected. Whom can state what these items could be and they are not electrical.

Don’t argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: dhadler

Let’s try dirty/plugged furnace filters and condenser fins?

That would almost be to easy, wouldn't it.

--
Darrell Hadler
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA

Originally Posted By: cbottger

Darrell

You are absolutely correct it was easy but why are they so overlooked by the home owners. Dirt and lint will trash more A/C system than you can shake a stick at. Over the years I have made a wheel barrow full of money just cleaning systems and I am not complaining just amazed as most of the time dirty condensers are very visible with a few exceptions such as the Rheem units that are covered with panels that you have to bend over and look up thru the louvers to see the fins. There is another unit a older carrier combination package system that has a double row of condenser tubes that lint packs in between the fins that is not visible from either inside or outside of the unit. These units have to be taken apart and the tubes separated to properly clean and would require a service Tech for the most part.

Thanks for your answers but I did not know they used A/C units in Alberta Canada TOOOO Cold ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

--
Don't argue with an idiot someone watching may not be able to tell the difference.

Originally Posted By: dhadler

Charley

Medicine Hat is located fairly close to your border and far enough from the Rockies so we get extreme high's and low's. Winter can see -40 and summers can easily hit 90 to 100 for about a month to month and a half.
Most homes in Medicine Hat have AC, while in Calgary just a couple a hundred miles away they don't need it because the night breeze cools her down.

I'm just amazed at the filthy, plugged furnace filters I see on a regular basis!! Many are so plugged the furnace is actually cycling out on high limit because its not moving enough air through the exchanger/coil to keep it cool enough. ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

It's funny to see people purchase all these useless mini air purifiers to place on table or counter tops and yet they can't simply replace a furnace filter with a quality hepa filter which will clean and circulate hundreds of times more air

...I just took common sense for granted, I guess it is a blessing.

--
Darrell Hadler
Five Star Home Inspections
Medicine Hat, Alberta CANADA