A/C questions....

Originally Posted By: Aaron Rosenbaum
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

I know when its 65 that most people drive with their windows down, but I have my A/C on sometimes… is this bad? I mean do the same rules apply to a car/truck’s A/C unit? Also, the temperature around my area (Minnesota) is between 50-70… and my landlords (they are my friends that I"ve been living with)have the A/C on… should I tell them to turn it off ASAP or whats the rule of thumb with A/C units?

Originally Posted By: nlewis

Aaron,

The owner's manual for my vehicle suggests operating the A/C occasionally during the winter. It doesn't cause a problem.

I have no problem turning on the central A/C down to about 55 degrees. I know that many people do not agree with this. Most mornings at my house my wife turns on the A/C even if it is 50 outside. The compressor does not strain and the valves do not chatter. I know the condenser does not have a crankcase heater, because it was an option when it was installed.

Originally Posted By: arosenbaum

Gotcha… maybe the 65 degree thing is just for our safety because there is a possibility that something can go wrong… but maybe not…

Thanks for the help ![icon_smile.gif](upload://b6iczyK1ETUUqRUc4PAkX83GF2O.gif)

Originally Posted By: tfoster

Running the a.c below 65 won’t hurt the system. Take it from a former hvac repairman.

Yes, it is for our protection 1. After you leave and then the a.c. stops running. Who do you think gets blamed. 2. I don't know about you guys but I do a temperture drop test to test the if the a.c. is working as it is engineered to do. You can't test accurately when the temperature is below 65.

I done work on a.c's in tanning saloons that needed a.c. in the winter months. They had crank case heaters and timers on them.

Originally Posted By: Steve Yared

How would I know if there is a heater installed?

Steve Yared

The Home Examiner LLC

616-776-7725

www.thehomeexaminer.com

Originally Posted By: kluce

Steve

Two wires going to and around the base of the compressor.

Don't go by wiring diagrams. They usually say optional.