A/C unit - Testing in Winter

We in Canada and many parts of the USA get some very sever weather .
It could be 60 outside in the day but 10 in the night .
I still until shown in writing go by what I posted and taught minimum of 60 for 24 hours .
I can not be faulted by following proper procedure can I …
Cookie

No.

It is “Your Call”. That’s the point of this all!

Geez I thought this was put to bed went away for the day and here it is still being discussed without me.

Sop’s in this state were developed by a lay person, a real estate person and 3 Hi’s from God only knows from what back ground probally from behind a desk job.

I pay very little attention to what the SOP.S say as they are just a minimum requirement. Every HVAC unit that I inspect would be above what my Sop’s call for.

A good example of a bad SOP in this state does not require the testing of the washing machine drain if there is no appliance installed.

I carry a washing machine hose with one end cut off in my Ditty bag and I test everyone. The experienced HI will do what is necessary to perform a inspection to the best of his ability. I crawl in crawl spaces that termite inspectors, refuse to enter. I just had a conversation with a plumber that was making repairs from one of my inspects and his comment was how in the hell did I even find that leak there was no room.

If you are going to run with the big dogs you have to get off of the porch:)

Yes SOP’S state that it is up to the inspector if he deems something is not safe he is not required to perform.

But on the other hand Home inspecting is not for the light hearted would I go on a 12-1 slate roof wet or dry no on a 12-1 asphalt yes would I crawl a 12 inch crawl space yes would I crawl a 12 inch attic with insulation no. Its my call.

In my opinion if you are to stay in this business more than three years you have to out perform your compitors and do it in a professional manner. I am in my 11th year so I must be doing something right.

Do I test A/C units in the winter THATS MY CALL:D
</IMG></IMG>

Well Charley when it gets to be fall I’ll let you know when it is 100 outside.:stuck_out_tongue:

I ran the damm thing for over 2 hours, can’t understand why it did not cool off for the life of me.:wink:

I know you refer guys like taking things like t-stats apart, but then I have to put them back togehter, I usually lose interest around then, so I just skip that entire step.

PS I would never call you candyass, I was thinging more like paintywaist.:smiley:

Yea I have seen 113+ on the boob tube for your area don’t like it.

Call me for dinner call me for payday call me anything I answer to most all:p

Talked to my client again. He forwarded me email from realtor, she quoted her HI as saying that he tests A/C units in the winter and that he would have noticed damage to cooling coil which was located in duct work. So this is a case of either a real estate agent who is mis-representing what her home inspector will do or say or there is some idiot out there doing damage to peoples A/C units :slight_smile:

He is taking agent to court anyway. She told them A/C unit was working at last walk through inspection they had and it was listed as working unevenly, what ever that would mean. I offered them my Carson-Dunlop book which specifically states not to test when under 65 degrees.

Maybe the inspector is a certified HVAC contractor and did in fact tell the agent that.

Maybe the Inspector is in fact qualified to test the HVAC unit in the winter.

Should a HI inspect the a/c in the winter? Not if you don’t know what your doing! Will running it always damage the unit, seldom but possible.

Can anyone say the a/c is working to capacity when testing it in the winter? Absolutely no! But you can tell if it is running, if there is refrigerant in the unit, if the compressor is pumping ect…

You are not “required” to operate a/c in the winter. So don’t, it’s your decision.