A Clue As To How They Do Business in SI NY

Check this out. I just came across this listing.

Keep in mind, the thought of a pre-listing Inspection sends chills up their spines like your a predator - when you try to sell it. However…

LARGE CORNER PROPERTY LOCATED ADJACENT TO SERVICE ROAD OF SI EXPRESSWAY. HOUSE NEEDS TLC,BEING SOLD AS IS- ENGINEER INSPECTION FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY

Also, notice the term for Home Inspection - “Engineering Inspection”. Its been used here for decades solely because the guy that ran the Island (a HI) was an engineer (may he rest in peace - seriously). Of course his Inspections were nothing other than something that barely resembled our SOP’s. His advertisements said “hire the HI that every realtor on Staten Island recommends”. And it was true.
His company sponsored the Board of Realtor Christmas parties etc.

Mean while houses are inspected where lead main water pipes are ok- “because they are all like that”, flame roll outs in furnaces that almost singe my eyebrows, electrical panels that are still painted shut - all on houses that were previouosly inspected.

Still a very corrupt place. I do an inspection here and the typical things I hear are “on Staten Island you should be on your 3rd inspection by now” - 30 minutes into the job. I even had a realtor call my last client saying that was “bulls*&^” angrily - about my report. My client shot back at him “hey, you work for me!” After which the realtor regrouped and salvaged what he could of his rep.

There are still HI’s that refer to their service as engineering reports.

Its a joke, a sad joke. One day this Island is going to be on Dateline NBC or something.

Perhaps your advertisements should read “Hire the HI that EVERY realtor on Staten Island is afraid you will hire”!

:wink:

Now that’s a great quote!