A first for me!

Scot the magic word here is defect. The magic verb here is many.
So pinning a time line on a HI realistically is imposable.

loll i hate agents, they hate me …at lease we have one thing in common

yesterday the agent call the home owner on her cell phone (who was the builder an occupant seller of the house) they started arguing with me that the garage (separated from the house) was in good shape…(btw the thing needed to burn to the ground)

i said to the agent :
Tell the builder that he forgot his lamps in the garage and if i had to explain to him where the mold, roth and decay was comming from

funny how the ‘‘tone’’ of the conversation changed at that moment

I respect the fact that every one works a little different,but here is another fact,it is big crews that ruined my lively hood of 25 years in the new home construction industry,self employed,after a while getting a house framed in a week, or given 2 days to drywall,or 4 hours to insulate a home became the norm,then the quality dropped,then the prices fell,I mean why would the builders pay appropriately if you dry-walled and insulated the house in 20 hours,eventually the amount of time you spend on a job will be used against all of us,mark my words,what attracted me to the HI industry, was that it was more of an individual,professional type setting,and not a crew type setting,thanks.

I can see what you are saying. I am not talking about “cutting” quality, but instead increasing it. For some reason people think the longer it is, the better it is. That is not necessarily the case. If you think I am doing this to be faster, your wrong. Totally! I am doing this process for ONE reason and ONE reason only. Its what people asked for. Some see themselves as the boss and the OWNER of a company. I wish! I see myself as having 3-6 boss’s per day (the client). Some people do this to “set their own schedule”. Once again, I WISH! I work a ton of hours and the main reason is, that I work hard for each and every referral and job we get and I don’t turn my back on my clients. They absolutely need me on Saturday. I am there!

So when you start talking about crappy craftsmanship and then relate it to my company and its process. Well, that not the right thing to do. But there will always be ney sayers, nature of the beast. I will tell you this, about 5 people have seen my operation and how we operate and I think 2 of them are trying to do what I do. They are changing their process to the one I use.

Big crews did not ruin your livelihood, you did! What you were doing was not what people wanted and you didn’t change. So now you want to blame them? See it the way you want. I just seldom see a quality guy for a fair price giving the people what they want and being broke.

So now people tell me not to compare one man company with a multi inspector company. How do you think companies grow? By staying stagnant? By being complacent? How did mine grow? Money out of my pocket is how. I was fairly busy and saw potential for growth so I hired two more guys and trained them. I had to train them when we were SLOW, because when your busy you can’t train them when your busy. So numerous weeks my income was pretty much their paychecks and expenses with little to no income and even some weeks taking money from saving to pay them! So I oput my money where my vision is and it worked out. So in fact, I was a SINGLE inspector who thought of ways to make it better, put my money where my mouth was an it continues to pay off each day more and more. BECAUSE of the multi inspector concept we began to grow as well as the income each and every year.

Now you want to talk about this being more “Individuality” or more personal. That’s awesome for a guy wanting to make a living. Make his $50K per year and go home. If thats what you want, then awesome. I want $10,000,000 a year in gross revenue. Can’t do that with one guy. When I turn 55 I want to sell it all and retire. When you retire what will you have to sell? When your a one man operation, you will have nothing to sell, because you have no BUSINESS, you have a PERSONALITY.

Well thats my rant and to be compared to the degression of construction and comparing my company to it, gets me a little riled up. But, you are entiteled to your way of thinking and more power to you…But I got 11 more years and I promise I will reach the $10,000,000 a year…Know why? Because I am willing to take chances where others aren’t…

I am amazed.
You proclaim you are good.
5 parts to your machine mate. I makes a slip all 5 pay. Most improtant the CLIENT PAYS.
Its people like you that KILL THE INDUSTRY.
Sorry mate no use for Mc.Donald’s inspections.
So that’s Russell I have been reading about. The mass market mass employ bossiness killer.

Your are about money mate not quality.:o
WOW.

Interesting topic.
Russell makes sense in trying to grab all the money he can in order succeed and others have every right to despise those with franchise type operations that try and gobble up the market while the owner thinks others would be happy to work for him at half pay.
Please continue this …

You got me all figured out Robert. But I will say, thanks for the compliment that you feel threatened that your way will eventually die and mine will succeed. Nice website, where is your sample report to show the world you extra ordinary craftsmanship, or is it hidden behind your $150 beginning fee…LMAO…START at $150!..AND YOUR CALLING ME McDonalds…

I will go head to head with about anyone. People don’t use me because of CHEAP, they use me because of QUALITY. I did 1-2.5 million dollar house on Sanibel, then a 2.0 Million Dollar CONDO on Sanibel and then a 500K house IN bonita Springs today. You don’t get the upper market without being QUALITY. These Realtors are all about QUALITY because of the people they deal with. They want their family and friend to use them and recommending sub quality people does not do provide that.

So today ALONE was about 5.5 million in property value inspected. Once again, you don’t get to hang with the big boys walking around with a a notebook, outlet tester and flashlight…

But like I said, if your ambition is to make a living…then go for it. I want to be filthy freakin rich…and go about doing it giving the client what they want. People are sick for paying an average proce for mediocrity, they want top price for superior work…thats where we come in…Never will you find a post that denies me saying, if you concentrate on QUALITY and that ALONE…you will find wealth. I am positive of it.

Bob thats where you also have it wrong. I don’t hire “inspectors”. I hire people who know certain areas WELL. I have a HVAC guy that ROCKS and he does the attic as well. I have a window and door guy that can tell you what manufacture made the window just by looking at it from afar! I have assembled PROFESSIONALS from different area to make ONE TEAM. Work for 1/2 price? I would never give them 1/2! Thats too much. But some people will work for a nice hourly wage plus time 1/2 for WORK in their area. They have no overhead, no real headaches, go to work, do a good job go home and relax. Not like us who go home and then still have hours of work to do. Pay unemployment tax, vehicles maintenance, insurance, fuel. Some people never want to own a business and as long as they are treated fair, with respect and are appreciated, they will smile while they watch me make as much as I can.

So now why don’t they go on their own? Because I do electrical, exterior, pools and roofs…they don’t have ALL the skills just certain skill sets…hard to be a “home Inspector” when you don’t have all the pieces to put together.

Russell I can never figure out the greedy. Its money you are after Russell. Plain and simple. You destroy your own system.
The 99 cent hamburger when it is needed and increase the cost in good times…
You create the job for less cash. It simple. You hire a new inspector, monitor hiom or her and them profit off there knowledge.
So Russell you give EQUAL SHARES OR PROFIT SHARE I would be happier.
So keep it going. I do not mind you are not in my neck of the woods.
Remember you have 5 moving parts that ALL must be equal.
You tell me its possible. I say no.
I say greed and your say…
I will change the industry God willing Russell.
That my mission statement.
I am so turned off by greed. As you take others go hungry.
Explain it any way you want mate.:wink:

Please stop Russ.
Special areas.They cover special areas.:shock:
That’s enough for me.

LMAO.I have owned a business for 12 years. BOUGHT an existing business took all the financial risk, bought all the equipment and vehicles and want me to share the money equally. OMG…Your too funny…

Go get your $150 inspection…and them make fun of others…that itself makes me laugh. Then you have sensitive areas?

I have no idea what you think owning a business means. But thing in Canada must be totally different. Paying employees an equal portion of 100% of the pie is well…I can think of no better word then simply retarded…and in saying that I feel like I am degrading retards by putting you in their catagory…

But just so I get this right…Your saying doing MAXIMUM 2 inspections per day for $150 each makes you a better inspector? You have not ONCE asked about my quality. So then if I do 1 inspection a MONTH for $75 I would be an AWESOME inspector?

Once again where is a sample copy of your report? You want to throw stones about quality, lets see what you got!

Do it ant\yway you want.
Look mate I do not like franchises. GET IT.

Thought you were using a team of home inspectors Russ.
Interesting method ,however I am uncertain how skilled service personal would be available to get paid what amounts to less money than they would make actually building,replacing and repairing.
A typical service call alone would fetch $100 just for them to start the truck around here so if your team charges even that minimum you need to be charging clients exorbitant fees.

Not bad rapping but admiring ,however not sure that would fly around here unless your team is also doing the repairs as that would need to be the bait to have them agree to tag along. I can only imagine the liability aspect.
Non the less it is an interesting business model that I neither condemn or support at this point.

Seems you are basically acting as Contractor but I may be off base.

Still find this interesting ,so please continue guys.

Russell I do not like franchises. Its mass marketing the industry I believe in and seen to much damage by franchises just n the short time space I have been here.
That’s all.
If you think Mc.Donalds food is good for you…
Think about it your way Russel. I have nothing to do with franchises.
I am allowed my opinion Russel.
I said nothing about your ability to preform inspections Russell.
Please understand I do not like franchises. That all Russell.
Do not get made at me.

I repair NOTHING, never have and never will.

I do charge higher fees than my competition. Whats wrong with that? Am I suppose to do more and get less? I think Mr. Bushart stated it properly when he said “People charge what they are worth”.

I provide what people in my area ask for. People are willing to pay more money for superior service. There are always high end clients in every market. Its where I set my sights 12 years ago and its come to fruition. Wow, I never thought doing something different and making a great living was so wrong…LMAO…

I AM NOT A FRANCHISE…get that through your head…

Robert, where is your sample report. You keep talking quality and yet you don’t show yours. Mine is for everyone to see…is it just not fair that you critique me and yet do not provide proof your way, your system, your process is superior. Put up a typical report for people to see and then let them judge.

I just think its funny that you talk crap about me and my company and yet do not back up your quality and then have the nerve to post you will start your pricing at $150…Just asking you to back up your posts…

One very important point you all are missing. You do not include your client in your inspection. How can you when five “experts” are all over the building. I take as much time as it takes to make sure my client knows and understands everything they need to know or want to know to make an informed decision. If they are knowledgeable and informed the inspection takes 2 hours. If they are not the inspection can take 4 or more hours. The last thing I want is a misinformed Client that get PO’ed and hire a lawyer because they do not understand.
It’s all about customer satisfaction, baby.

Score one for Vern.(good point)

As a very successful friend and business man once told me…always sell to the high end…good point.