A-Frame Ventilation Questions?

I have inspected a couple A-frame homes lately where there was no soffit ventilation and/or insulation was placed into the rafter area preventing proper ventilation.

Below is an A-frame attic I inspected today, gable vents were present and what was presumed to be soffit vents as well, but cannot be sure if the soffit vents are actually functionable or cut in, no ridge vent.

Dark staining and signs of condensation was present on the sheathing, so I know it is inadequately ventilated. I’m just trying to understand this better for myself.

Should an A-frame have ventilation from the eave to the ridge or attic area like any other typical home? I would think the shingles lifespan would be far less if not.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Paul, is that a masonry chimney stack in that first picture?

If there were soffit vents but the intake was covered up with insulation, then that is a problem. They make soffit baffles for this.

Plugged intake

Properly vented intakes with baffles

Yes it is. It does have a metal flue liner going to a pellet stove. Not sure if that makes a difference.

The home was originally a wood sided home but now has vinyl, including vinyl soffit with what appears to be intake vents but I’m not 100% sure whats behind the vinyl soffit. I am familiar with the baffles and that is going to be my recommendation once I confirm how an A-frame home is supposed to be ventilated;)

Supposed to be ventilated per modern standards and current ventilation may be two different things. How much life is left on the roof?

Not seeing the whole visual of the roof line, my thoughts are there should be (have been) a ridge vent installed. The gable vents are pretty much useless without other means to help circulate the air. The soffit vents, based on the pictures are not worth squat.

Moisture will probably build up in the winter months with any heat resonating from the chimney stack and warming cold air in the attic causing condensation. At least an electric attic vent fan should be installed for better circulation, but I would leave that to a second opinion.

1 Like

The roof looks like new, less then 5 years old

1 Like

As you and @tglaze mentioned, lack of adequate ventilation can cause problems. I would elevate this. There is no intake, no out-take, only cross ventilation which may not be enough.

1 Like

Brian is that not an attic fan in the louver in the back of the first photo?

1 Like

Looking at it now blown up it looks like it may be a portable fan lol.

3 Likes

I think so! Good catch. Someone has already identified the issue and are trying to increase cross ventilation.

1 Like

Not the worst idea, but the CFM will be woefully inadequate.

1 Like

Had same problem with my roof. Baffles needed to be added and as many soffit vents as possible. Problem solved.

1 Like

It most absolutely is a portable box fan. Haha

2 Likes

Newbie I was looking don’t the gusset plates have to be on both sides

Good catch, they typically are;

1 Like