A one man utility company

Originally Posted By: hspinnler
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Recently, I’ve been asked to inspect a mobile home where the buyer wanted the water heater and oven/cooktop inspected. The only problem is is that there was no liqued propane in the tank. Also, I was asked to inspect a foreclosed home where electric was not on. The referring agent asked if I had a generator that I could hook up the electric with. How far should one go to as Larry the Cable Guy would say “git-'r-done!” icon_question.gif

Hank Spinnler
Harmony Home Inspection Services
www.harmonyinspection.com

sorry for the typo, the phrase is “liquid” propane. don’t want anyone to think I’m illiterate just because I’m from Georgia. icon_biggrin.gif

Originally Posted By: tallen

To me, it’s the same as if the gas meter is locked out or the electrical meter has been pulled. No propane no inspecting the propane appliances.

Just make sure you write it up.

No way in Hell should you tote a generater around with you.

--
I have put the past behind me,
where , however, it now sits, making rude remarks.

www.whiteglovehomeinspections.net

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

hspinnler wrote:
sorry for the typo, the phrase is "liquid" propane. don't want anyone to think I'm illiterate just because I'm from Georgia. ![icon_biggrin.gif](upload://iKNGSw3qcRIEmXySa8gItY6Gczg.gif)

Damn hillbillies

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

Thanks Todd. Yeah, the only way I am toting a generator with me is if I start a sideline act with inflatable carnival rides.

icon_biggrin.gif

I won't even turn on a breaker that is off.

--

30 Oct 2003-- 29 Nov2005

I have been turning breakers on. For example, a new home or unoccupied re-sale where the water heater breaker was off since it was not being used. I turn it on, wait 20-30 minutes and get a temperature reading on the hot water. Then, de-energize it.

How about if a breaker has been tripped before you get there? For example, an outdoor GFCI with reset in the panel?

Hank Spinnler

Originally Posted By: rcooke

hspinnler wrote:
I have been turning breakers on. For example, a new home or unoccupied re-sale where the water heater breaker was off since it was not being used. I turn it on, wait 20-30 minutes and get a temperature reading on the hot water. Then, de-energize it.

How about if a breaker has been tripped before you get there? For example, an outdoor GFCI with reset in the panel?

Hank Spinnler

And what happens if there is no water in the tank .
Then new elements required.
What happens if it of for a purpose you turn it on and a fire starts.
I too turn nothing on or turn nothing off.
Read the SOP.

--
Roy Cooke Sr.

http://Royshomeinspection.com

Originally Posted By: Blaine Wiley

I wouldn’t carry a Generator, and in no case will I ever turn on any gas that has been shut off, but in this area one wouldn’t be in business long if one didn’t either turn on the water heater breaker or plug it in and turn on the water. Most of the snowbirds are only here from Jan-April, and the water and breakers are routinely turned off when they leave.

We get permission from the seller first, though.

Of course, there has to be water to the tank before I’ll energize it, and I do ask for the sellers or builder’s permission first.

Now, if you have an LP tank in the yard that is empty, would anyone dare to bring along their portable LP tank to hook it up to test mechanical equipment and appliances? I'm leaning towards a big fat "no" personally.

Originally Posted By: lkage

hspinnler wrote:
...would anyone dare to bring along their portable LP tank to hook it up to test mechanical equipment and appliances? I'm leaning towards a big fat "no" personally.

No leaning here...no.

--
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him."
Galileo Galilei

Originally Posted By: jwilliams4

Whaaat? You guys don’t carry a generator with you??? icon_rolleyes.gif

“not just an inspection, but an education”

Originally Posted By: lclark

Hi All,

Must be that time of the year. I was supposed to have an inspection last Thursday on a property out side of town. When I went to pick up the key the realtor told me their was no propane in the tank and the electric was not on. She wanted to know if I could hook up a tank from her grill. I said, No that would not work because the regulater’s were different sizes. The bigger tanks have bigger regulater’s so the small tanks wont work.

Then she asked me if we could hook up the generator on her motor home to the house to get power to it. I asked her, what are we going to plug it into. She thought for a minute and said, I thought you would know. I told her we would have to get an electrician to put a special adapter on the panel to make it work. By the time we do all that we might as well spend the 50 bucks and have the power turned on. She finally agreed.

The thing is I have no idea if the BS I told her is true or not, I just needed an excuse not to do something that could be hazardous to my business. Plus it leaves her with thinking I know what I am talking about.

Don't stick your neck out. When in doubt, BS your way out.

--
" Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."

Ha Ha Larry. I liked that reply. What sparked the thread were similar inquiries like the ones you just described. We are often the ones they look to for answers and though I was able to BS sometimes when I was in sales, I think BS can and will undoubtedly come back to bite me. So, I stay away from it. If I don’t know, I don’t know. If I can find out though, I tell them I’ll get back to them.

Originally Posted By: psabados

Quote:
If I don't know, I don't know. If I can find out though, I tell them I'll get back to them.

Well said Hank, that will help keep you out of trouble. Better safe than getting stitches in your rear.

Paul

--
NACHI Vice President

NACHI Foundation, President

Convention Coordinator

Originally Posted By: dandersen

Quote:
I'm leaning towards a big fat "no" personally.

I'm leaning towards a big fat "Hell No"!

Are you working with appliance salespersons or Real Estate Agents?
God!

I have never had anyone ask that!
Maybe in my next life! ![icon_rolleyes.gif](upload://iqxt7ABYC2TEBomNkCmZARIrQr6.gif)

Originally Posted By: jwilliams4

For houses with no electricity I carry a set of long jumper cables,

and ask the Realtor if I can hook them to her Mercedes....

--
"not just an inspection, but an education"