A question for the sparkys.

(Terry W. Bomar, II) #1

First time questioner. I came across this Main disconnect today. As you can see on the left descriptions it is listed as 200 amperes. While the actual pole lists it as 30. Now I know that a home (with a pool) built in 1980 cannot possibly have just a 30 amp supply. But i could really use some clarity on this for my own education.

Thanks

0 Likes

(Bradley K. Toye, CMI) #2

No clue, unless someone switched out the handle. Shouldn’t say 30 on it.

0 Likes

(Michael Bitterman, CMI HI7792) #3

I would say something is definitely wrong. Depending on your comfort level I would have stuck an amp meter on it to see what the reading was. I bet it would not be hard to show more than 30 Amos and the breaker not tripped. For sure write it up for an electrician to look at it.

0 Likes

(Marcel Gratton, CMI) #4

That’s a good one! Post it in the electrical section.

0 Likes

(Peter Giannino, 24GI00162600) #5

I cant help to think that this may be a sub panel. 30 Amps is way to low to run an entire home on normal consumption.

0 Likes

(Joe Funderburk, CMI) #6

Needs further evaluation. Weird.

0 Likes

(Michael S. Gleeson, 16000070526) #7

Hmmm… It is a 200A breaker, I don’t doubt that part. Even if it was a 30A protecting the 4/0 it wouldn’t technically be wrong outside of nuisance tripping. That said, my thought is that the handle on the breaker was broken and instead of spending $100 plus on a new one they opened the case and inserted a handle from another breaker laying around. I have a warehouse with hundreds of breakers in it, I will look on Monday to see if I have one of these and if I do I will remove the two case screws and post pictures. There is a good chance I wont have this exact one but hopefully something close enough to see if the theory is plausible.

0 Likes

(Chuck Evans, CMI TREC 7657) #8

Never seen that before. Must have been Monday morning at the plant when the build that one.

0 Likes

(Dave Fetty, CMI) #9

Or Friday after lunch.

0 Likes