A Ventless Gas Fireplace Doesn’t Belong in Your Home

Sorry Roy, Mike is being insulting to my clients for some unknown reason.

He is entitled to his opinion about ventless appliances, but he can’t seem to leave it at that. He can be as unprofessional as he chooses to be and call myself and others names but there is no need to insult one’s clientele.

Stop playing games.

Oh wait that is what you do here.

You explain to your clients how “average” they are.:roll::roll::roll:

Not all units some oldies around here

Only for over 20 years or so.

I have never seen one without an ODS.

There were some bathroom heaters from the fifties without them.:shock:

You might find one in a vacation or lake home and that would be a different recommendation.

1980 , for a fact , how ever do you know if the are working or not?

Yes I looked it up and was about to post that. thanks 1980

They are a mechanical device with no moving parts.

They either will maintain the pilot flame or they wont.

Good luck trying to defeat one.

http://www.dixieproducts.com/images/pages/nav_pages/ods.gif

What if they where replaced by a billy bob. and how many guys know what to look for ?
Mike nothing is 100 percent . I know what your saying how ever clients need to read all the operating instructions to understand the problems .

Wayne, millions of these in service and no deaths.

What else do you want?

Of course I make sure there is an ODS.:wink:

My bride and I enjoyed one, properly installed and maintained, for years. They are not for everyone but we liked it. We had a dry forced air heat and liked the additional moisture as well as a cracked window.

No deaths documented . I just make sure my clients know to read the instructions and understand the precautions needed.

Well let’s put it this way.

Lawyers would love to sue these guys IF they had a case.:stuck_out_tongue:

Below is the comment I put in my reports for an unvented propane fireplace, I also have one for natural gas.

This house has one or more unvented gas fireplaces which have some unique characteristics:

May produce a smell some people find objectionable

May produce soot from incomplete combustion of propane gas

Can produce carbon monoxide if combustion of the gas is not complete

Produces water vapor equivalent to 1/2 gallon per hour

It is always recommended to use a carbon monoxide detector and to provide fresh air by opening a nearby window when operating a unvented fireplace.

Note: With propane, combustion will occur when the gas in air mixture is between 2% and 10% and is referred to as the “limits of flammability”. Combustion will occur anywhere between these two percentages with the “ideal burn” being about 4% propane and 96% air. This ideal percentage is considered to be the most efficient burn of propane gas when used. Complete combustion of propane is evident by a blue burning flame.
Incomplete combustion is defined as within the limits of flammability but higher or lower than the ideal of 4% propane and 96% air. Incomplete combustion can occur in one of two ways:

**Lean Burn **- The percentage of propane in the gas/air mixture is less than 4% propane. A lean burn can be recognized when flames appear to lift away from the burner and can potentially go out.

**Rich Burn **- A percentage of propane in the gas/air mixture is more than 4% . Recognizing a rich burn is very simple as the flames are much larger than they are supposed to be and are largely yellow in color.

Several products of incomplete combustion are easily visible and if noticed, action should be taken immediately. Visible signs of incomplete combustion include burner flame appearance (as listed above), soot collecting on walls and windows, also excessive water vapors forming on windows and cool surfaces during appliance operation. Appliance service and adjustment is needed if any of these visible signs of incomplete combustion are noticed.

Mike there are plenty of reasons why the average homeowner doesn’t do the maintenance on their home which they should, not just stupidity(your word, not mine). You needed to argue with someone so you tried to claim I was calling my clients stupid. Take your incessant need for debate and division elsewhere, it is not welcome.

Wow, can I use that Randy? That’s really good.

free info for anyone to use

Cameron

To modify that for natural gas replace the percentages listed for propane to the following:
change 2% to 5%
change 10% to 15%
change 4% to 10%
change 96% to 90%

Thanks, appreciate it.

I believe I learn more from the different opinions than just a straightforward answer Like they are not to be used for heating purposes. Argue on boys…

Me too Randy…thanx

A good discussion frequently adds much information.

Adding different information sites sure helps too.