Abandoned wells

Originally Posted By: Clifford Treyens
This post was automatically imported from our archived forum.

Do home inspectors concern themselves with abandoned wells on a piece of property?

This is a huge problem throughout the U.S. There are hundreds of thousands of abandoned wells that pose a physical threat as a result of accidents or contamination of aquifers that supply drinking water.

Originally Posted By: jpope

I think you answered your own question.

If I were to come across one, I would certainly make sure it was included in my report. Possibly even recommending that it be filled (or at least capped) in accordance with local ordinances.

--
Jeff Pope
JPI Home Inspection Service
"At JPI, we'll help you look better"
(661) 212-0738

Originally Posted By: gbell

But I think the possibility of finding one would be limited as our focus is on the house.

Greg Bell

Bell Inspection Service

Originally Posted By: dvalley

Quote:
finding one would be limited as our focus is on the house

Very true, but if you happen to be walking the exterior, a simple look around may help you identify an abandoned well. The most obvious evidence of an abandoned well is a pipe sticking out of the ground. Typically, a well casing will be a metal pipe that is 1 1/4 to 6 inches in diameter. A small concrete slab or a manhole cover may be the sign of a pit where an abandoned well is located.

A ring of rocks, bricks, or concrete 12 to 36 inches or more in diameter may be a sign of a dug well. Windmills are often located over abandoned wells, and an old shed may be an old well house. Also, a broken or inoperative hand pump may be connected to a well that should be plugged.

Some abandoned wells may be more difficult to identify. Many are hidden among weeds or patches of brush. A depression in the ground may occur where an old well was buried. A wet area may indicate that a flowing well was never properly plugged.

--
David Valley
MAB Member

Massachusetts Certified Home Inspections
http://www.masscertified.com

"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others, whenever they go."