According to This Real Estate Salesman...

…it is up to him whether or not you stay in business.

You had better tow the line, says he, to his Canadian inspectors.

What are your thoughts?

I was given several of Carson & Dunlops “Pre-Listing Inspection” summary reports. I gotta admit they were real purty. They were designed to sell the house … I guess what I’m saying is as a home inspection report they were REAL weak OR very generic.

I took one of theirs / Put my company name & a local street address for their house on it where theirs was AND left everything else the same to show you their summary. I had 4-6 of them EVEN on 75 year old houses / SUMMARY always 2 page sales sheet / NON-ALARMIST

Check it out …

I was given several of Carson & Dunlops “Pre-Listing Inspection” summary reports. I gotta admit they were real purty. They were designed to sell the house … I guess what I’m saying is as a home inspection report to ME / they were REAL weak OR very generic.

I took one of theirs / Put my company name & a local street address for their house on it where theirs was AND left everything else the same to show you their summary. I had 4-6 of them EVEN on 75 year old houses / SUMMARY always 2 page sales sheet / NON-ALARMIST. Reports the same way.

Check it out …

I like the part about how to spot a Rogue Inspector, “They use laptop computers…”, ooops, I didn’t realize I was rogue.

In my opinion, this article speaks volumes about the attitudes of many who sell houses.

Simply consider the word “rogue”…defined as “Operating outside normal or desirable controls”.

A “rogue” home inspector, in the mind of this salesman, is one who is operating outside of his control.

Isn’t that what we ALL should be doing if we are to be of value to a home buyer who is hiring us to provide him with a complete, accurate and unbiased description of the house that a salesman is wanting him to buy?

More importantly…what does it say about the names that are on the list that this salesman provides to home buyers?

As for me, I am the ultimate rogue inspector and I market myself, accordingly. It is an important part of my marketing plan to make it perfectly clear to any potential client that my name will NOT appear on any salesman’s list of “preferred” inspectors.

This salesman’s harmful preferences…and those who he represents…is the reason why.

It is sad for our industry that there are hundreds, if not thousands, of used home commissioned sales people that are “side-stepping” their own rules and regulations, all in the name of making commissions. I bet there are more that are not abiding by, or relying on, the laws and rules passed in most every state that make “their industry” better, and safer for the home buyers.

They push for home inspection laws. They complain about appraisers. They complain to lenders and banks. And then they all write blogs and articles to put professions down, just so they can keep controlling them.

We are the last in the chain that keep all in the RE transaction honest, and properly inform home buyers of what they are getting into; and yet, people try to keep us in control.

Just three years ago, I spent zero money every year to be “compliant”. Now, I spend hundreds every year, spend hours of time, to be able to perform home inspections. Association fees, radon law fees, termite certifications, insurance requirements, educational courses, etc. etc. And the RE complaints just keep coming.

Frustrated in KC.

James,

I commend you for trying to improve the home inspection business situation in your area.

Marc-Andre:)

Jim -

I must be reading youse post wrong when you say you’re not on the real estate agent lists.

Gosh 2 years ago in Kansas & Missouri all I heard at legislative meetings was who was Jim Bushart; did we know Jim Bushart; etc. AND seem to remember hearing how that Jim Bushart’s name was on quite a few of the realtors lists of SOMEKIND.

You seem to be REAL well known in real estate circles AND on lots of their lists.

You Dog You …

Woof.:wink:

Join the fun…before this idiot winds up deleting his entire article. He is a moron.

He is uninformed…

Perhaps he is just marketing.

I myself are one of these rogue inspectors, who perform inspections way above Kansas SOP’s. As I have stated countless times, here in Kansas a licensed inspector does not have to check any appliance, or how those appliances are connected. They only have to check one outlet, one window, one door, one wall per room. You do not have to remove any panel of any kind.

Seems to me that is what this guy wants, and is doing it. He only wants to do basic reports, and does not want to “go rogue”. Sorry for his clients.

Will Decker…that was an outstanding post you made to that thread.

Thank you, Jim. Just stating the facts.

I get pretty upset by agents who think that, just because they have the NAR, they have ANY type of authority or control over HIs.

…and those of us not under their control are “rogues”.

Perhaps it is the NAR itself, whom should start going “rogue”. They should police their own, and stand up for the home buyers, and promote themselves for the association that they should be. Thanks Will.

Gary, you are a dreamer!

That is all I do lately. Business is almost nil here.

I think Gary is just shining us. I bet he’s doing 2 a day except on the weekend, when he quits work at noon on Friday and heads to his lake condo for the 2.5 day weekend.

Lake condo is winterized for the season.

Actually, due to the recent blizzard, people stayed home and surfed the internet for homes. Phone started ringing the last couple of days.