adobe pdf reader replacment

Has anyone tried this
http://www.download.com/Foxit-PDF-Reader/3000-2079_4-10313206.html?hhTest=1

Bruce, I haven’t, but have you tried it yourself yet or just asking if someone has?

Thanks

Marcel :slight_smile:

just asking

Yes Foxit is a VERY small and fast reader compared to adobe acrobat. It’s especially good to use if you’re on an older machine. If I remember right it’s less than 2 megs versus 20 for acrobat. I’ve used it quite a few times in the past and didn’t notice any problems. (post questions like this in the computer section, easier for me to find, and others in the future!)

Someone on another thread was just looking for software that could write on PDFs. It appears this can.

From **Foxit Software](http://www.download.com/Foxit%20Software/3260-20_4-116442.html):** The following is a list of compelling advantages of Foxit Reader: Incredibly small: The download size of Foxit Reader is only 2.55 MB which is a fraction of Acrobat Reader 22 MB size. Breezing-fast: When you run Foxit Reader, it launches instantly without any delay. You are not forced to view an annoying splash window displaying company logo, author names, etc. Annotation tool: Foxit Reader allows you to draw graphics, highlight text, type text and make notes on a PDF document and then print out or save the annotated document. Save fillable forms after filling them out so you can continue anytime. Text converter: You may convert the whole PDF document into a simple text file. High security and privacy: Foxit Reader highly respects the security and privacy of users and will never connect to the Internet without users’ permission while other PDF readers often silently connect. Version 2.3 build 3201 fixed some major bugs of the early versions and makes Foxit Reader more stable and user-friendly.

Alright you Guru’s, will this work on my dinosaur, 2000 Professional computer?

How would a PDF benefit over my acrobat?

Hell, I don’t even know what PDF means.

Sorry for the ignorance, but I do know how to build, ha. ha. :mrgreen:

Thanks

Marcel
</IMG>

Marcel, it would work faster on a 2000 machine than Acrobat does as Acrobat is a bit bloated (but still a great program). PDF’s are a format that anyone can read for free by downloading the reader and can be made to look exactly how you want them to no matter what printer, monitor or operating system the user is using. That’s why it’s by far the best choice for sending inspection reports in.

Thanks Dominic, but can you have both or just the PDF reader?

Marcel :slight_smile: :smiley:

You can have both installed at the same time. Only one would be the default program though which is the one that opens when you double click on a pdf on your computer.

Thanks Dominic, I had Adobe 8.0 for awhile and had to downgrade to Adobe 6 because my wife could not access her checking account at the Credit Union. They did not have Adobe 8.

How do you make that PDF the default progam?

Strange, using Adobe 8 should not have caused you a problem with the credit union.

To set a programs default in Windows 2000 follow this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/320033

Thanks Dominic.

I just downloaded Foxit and tried it. It looked really cool until I tried to open my “edited” pdf in Reader 8.1. I didn’t show any of the original data, and only the stuff I changed in Foxit. I also got an error message on reading the file. So if you intend for someone to read the pdf in Reader, test it before hand.

I’ve only used it as a reader. Good to know that it might not handle editing well!